Out In The Sun

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Attached File  image.jpg   72.19KB   1 downloads

Chloe out in the sun yesterday. She had a wander round to check all areas. X x xhugs x x

#2 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

Awww Great photo Is Chloe one of your older girls? She looks quite big in the photo..
emasen x

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Chloe looks like shes enjoying catching some well deserved rays after a nice long sleep Stella :)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Are all your torts up out of hibernation now Stella, it's nice you have some sun, it's still really cold here. :)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:57 PM

No Karen, just Boy Pebble, Chloe, Bertha and Teela are up. The rest are still snuggled down. We have been lucky with the sun. When it is out it is really warm, and luckily Tort Lodge seems to get the full impact. They are managing an hour or so out every day now. The rest of the time they are rambling about in the greenhouse. I have Bertha and Teela in the house at the moment. I am still puzzling what to do with Berthas mobility. Hugs x x xx

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Hi Stella,

Chloe is a beautiful specimen and has a wonderfully smooth shell. :wub:  Thanks for sharing. :)

Best of luck with the rest of your girls. 

Kind Regards

Freddy

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:12 PM

No Karen, just Boy Pebble, Chloe, Bertha and Teela are up. The rest are still snuggled down. We have been lucky with the sun. When it is out it is really warm, and luckily Tort Lodge seems to get the full impact. They are managing an hour or so out every day now. The rest of the time they are rambling about in the greenhouse. I have Bertha and Teela in the house at the moment. I am still puzzling what to do with Berthas mobility. Hugs x x xx

It wont be long Stella, and you'll have them all back up. :)  sorry you might have already said but what's wrong with Berthas mobility, if you don't mind me asking. :)

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

I rehomed Bertha a few years ago. Although the previous owners had had her in their family since the 1960's they chose to have her chipped to enable them to sell her. Which was ok because, I guess that meant she went somewhere that wanted her rather than not.
Her difficulty is she cannot walk properly. Her front legs will not hold her up and to be honest are in such a position where she cannot grip much to move around. She pushes herself with a swimming action with her front legs. Her right front leg has no claws. She has a hole in the back of her shell where she was tethered at some point. And some shell damage where maybe another animal has had hold of her. She had been kept with a male of the same age.
I was very concerned about her when I got her home as she was struggling around Tort Lodge gardens on the ups and downs so I took her to my vet who did X-rays and bloods and actually gave her a clean bill of health, which was surprising but great news. He suggested that the way she walked was more of a way she had learnt to walk rather than any medical problem. A bit like if we roll our hips when we move...it becomes habit.
And she is relatively healthy....her eyes are bright, she has a great appetite though she struggles to get her head down to food that is well below her. I don't think she manages to drink as I bath her daily and often she has a real good drink of water. Her bodily functions are as they should be so I have no proper worries. Other than her mobility.
On a good positive note she moves about Tort Lodge Gardens much better than she did, and really quickly at times, and although I was told her claws would never grow back she now has one, so I am hopeful for some more, though I am sure this will not help her move about much.
I did post on here a few years ago about her and Sue suggested placing some furniture mats underneath her to raise her up a little. I didn't do that last year, though I have the mats, I thought I would see how she managed. I think I will do it this year to give her a boost and see what happens.
Below is a picture of her taken last summer. She is the light coloured tort in the middle of the picture
Hugs x x x x

Attached Files

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

Hi Stella. I've never suggested mats , but half sphere shaped buffers, which gives the limbs time to recover and strengthen. Mats will only hinder her progress. They need to be glued in place with epoxy resin, so not something you would change on a regular basis. They do fall off eventually. I'm trusting you used an exotics trained vet, as there are things they would spot that the average vet would not. What might be normal for a mammal possibly would not be for Chelonia. She has obviously had a different growth pattern in recent years, so diet and physio action should get her back to normal. I've had several torts over the years that have needed intensive therapy to get them back to normal mobility, but the number one factor I would have said is never to hibernate while healing is taking place as the need to recover on a continual basis, which is one reason why many torts do due in hibernation if not 100% fit.

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

Yes it was the buffers.... I was on my way to school so used 'mats' as a quick term x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users