• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shurco

Shurco

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

my tortoises have recently been mating for the first time, so how long after mating will the female be ready to start laying eggs

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

How old are they? What size are they? What species? Have you not hibernated them? Do they have an egg laying area with very deep soil? So many questions, but all relevant to egg laying ;)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

my tortoises have recently been mating for the first time, so how long after mating will the female be ready to start laying eggs

Hi Steve, I've just been looking at an old post of yours are these the two 5 year olds that you got that your talking about here, if so the female wont be big enough to lay eggs unless she's been power fed and is a good size, do you know how much they weigh, do you have more than one female in with the male as well, sorry but the more information you can give us the better we can help. :)  breeding tortoises isn't as easy as it seems you can't just put a male and female together and get babies especially with young torts. :wink:

#4 Shurco

Shurco

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Hi, I've just weighed her and she weighs 430g which is an increase of 45 g since I bought her in January of this year.
We also have 2 other females who are both 30 months old.
I was just curious about the possibility of her laying eggs because the male is mounting quite a lot and can harm be done because he's quite aggressive towards her but he takes no interest in the youngsters.
Also the reason why I didn't hibernate her was that she was wide awake when I bought her and seemed to under weight so I thought it best to keep her awake
I hope this is ok some help
Thanks Steve

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

You really shouldn't be keeping an immature female with males. She has gained too much weight since January to be honest, so growth needs to be slowed to a much slower rate. A male can seriously damage even a mature female, so they need to be separated ASAP? Cloacal damage is often not reversible. Are you treating her as a mature female and increasing her calcium intake or just not sure what is going on? She is far too young to mate and as mentioned needs her own enclosure now. Males mounting does not mean they will produce eggs, just that she will suffer real harm, especially if he does manage to penetrate her. you sat, she was underweight when you got her, what was her ratio? At such a young age, your other tortoises are too young to be sexed yet ;)

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

Totally agree a mature male will do damage your young females,as Sue said they can do damage to mature females much larger than them!my females get a battering from my male but they are large enough to be able to get out of these situations.if torts are grown correctly at a nice slow pace then you wont really get any eggs laid until around 10 years plus when they are mature
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users