Hello Everyone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chtoumai_*

Guest_chtoumai_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hello!

Just introducing myself and my tortoise. I'm new to this forum and to turtles. Mine is a 5 year old girl Hermann tortoise named Diane. We got her a week ago. She seems still a bit shy and won't eat much but I assume this is normal? Maybe I should post a thread on this on the husbandry forum.

She's in a vivarium and I am doing all I can to make her feel good but she won't eat anything else than some of the pellets we got from the pet store (the feed she was given there along with greens). She won't eat much of anything else; this morning, she managed to eat a small bit of chicoree... And we are offering her lots of different things to eat: radish leaves, carrots, white cabbage, arugula (rocket), corn salad.

I guess she'll feel better outdoors when the weather starts getting warmer. We've got lots of space for her outside.

If anyone has advices on how to acclimate newly-bought tortoises, or any experience on this?

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hi There,

Welcome to the forum. :) Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends.

Look forward to hearing more about your wonderful tort 'Diane' :wub:  and seeing some pics. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Take care. Talk soon.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

Hello!

Just introducing myself and my tortoise. I'm new to this forum and to turtles. Mine is a 5 year old girl Hermann tortoise named Diane. We got her a week ago. She seems still a bit shy and won't eat much but I assume this is normal? Maybe I should post a thread on this on the husbandry forum.

She's in a vivarium and I am doing all I can to make her feel good but she won't eat anything else than some of the pellets we got from the pet store (the feed she was given there along with greens). She won't eat much of anything else; this morning, she managed to eat a small bit of chicoree... And we are offering her lots of different things to eat: radish leaves, carrots, white cabbage, arugula (rocket), corn salad.

I guess she'll feel better outdoors when the weather starts getting warmer. We've got lots of space for her outside.

If anyone has advices on how to acclimate newly-bought tortoises, or any experience on this?

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoises don't like change at all and can take some time to settle with a move to a new home, with this they don't eat much at the minute make sure you bath her as hydration is the most important thing especially with her been in a vivarium, sadly all the information the pet store has given regarding care is wrong, vivarium's are really no good to house a tortoise in you need some thing like an open topped table, and even better a permanent outside enclosure when the weathers warm enough, there diet wants to be a natural diet of weeds, plants and flowers, no fruit or veg at all, I would stop feeding the pellets as these are really not good for your tortoise, you could try feeding florette crispy salad and add some weeds in, then in time feed more weeds less salad stuff, have a look at these regarding diet I think you'll find them helpful. :)  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

Any questions you have just ask there's always someone around to help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users