• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ianmack1969

ianmack1969

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

I am planning putting my 3 year old Hermanns outside this summer onwards. I have a shed and made an area in there with all the correct heating,light and bedding requirements to keep it happy, I am now looking at cutting a hole in shed and building a cold frame/lean to style construction so it can get out and do some digging and get natural light. I was going to use polycarbonate or PVC as the lid to allow light in so if its raining I can keep the little fella dry but still get light, my worry is that these materials do not allow UVB to pass, if I still have his UVB strip light in his bedding area will this matter?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Do you mean to cover the outside area to allow light in but to stop the rain, I wouldn't cover the outside area at all apart from some form of protection against predators, they really need the natural sun, torts are quite happy going out in the rain, it's really all about giving them the choice to choose if they want to or not, as you are going to have a heated area that the tort can go back to it will be just fine. :)

#3 ianmack1969

ianmack1969

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

I was going to use tongue and groove boards for the sides and and polycarbonate for the top, but have also have a hatch so they can get out into the garden, it is going to be a halfway house for him. Inside nice and warm for sleeping, middle bit for shelter and garden to wonder around.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Right get what you mean :lol:  that will work as long as there getting natural light, I just have a shed area then straight onto there outside enclosure that's works just as well. :)

#5 ianmack1969

ianmack1969

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

living up here, we have the sunshine but also a lot off rain, was hoping having uvb beside basking lamp will be ok for them when the weather not that good and have to stay in the lean to bit. 

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

You can't beat natural sun light, im in the north east and the weathers not always the best here, I just leave it up to the torts to decide if they want to go out, they go outside when I think its quite cool and also when it's raining, it's just really about giving them the choice to decide where they want to be. :)

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

living up here, we have the sunshine but also a lot off rain, was hoping having uvb beside basking lamp will be ok for them when the weather not that good and have to stay in the lean to bit.

No uvb is needed when living outdoors, but supplements will help them stay healthy. Use a supplement with D3 and then you will be giving them the same benefits as the sun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users