5 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Hello everyone 😊
Bit of background info here. In around October I was given two tortoises (a supposedly 3 year old female hermanns named Vera and a 2 year old male horse field) named Brian. they were kept together in a 3ft viv but I've now separated them into seperate customised vivs.
They were very frisky with each other which was a concern before separation.

On Saturday Vera (the Hermann) laid a surprise egg, and another today. I've currently got them in incubation. Just wondering is it possible that there fertile seeing as Brian and Vera are a different species? There smaller than I would of thought they'd be and she made no effort to nest etc. just kinda dropped them out 😄, thanks in advance!!!Attached File  image.jpg   64.53KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   36.05KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   57.45KB   0 downloads

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:19 PM

Hi there
Is a very young age for 3 year old to lay eggs infact could be very dangerous due to eggs getting stuck!i suppose they could cross breed but if it was me i would chuck them stright in the bin as i dont like the thought of hybrids as this could cause havoc with gene pools and torts in generations to come due to not being pure.only my opinion tho!most probs she layed them due to a male being present tho but i wouldnt take any chances and ditch them

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hi, I don't think they would be fertile, but im not 100% sure, maybe Sue will know, I wouldn't incubate them any way if it was me, especially if there's a chance there off two different species :wink:

The reason she didn't try and nest is that she didn't have any where to do this, a tortoise needs very deep soil to be able to lay her eggs in, the hole they dig when laying their eggs is quite deep, they then cover them back over, it can be dangerous for tort who is carrying eggs not to have a suitable nesting area. :)

#4 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

She is 18cm (carapace length) and the eggs are pretty tiny. Thanks for the nesting info I'll get it sorted out as soon as possible to ensure she's comfortable :D I'd feel really bad if I chucked them away though :(

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:03 PM

Hello everyone
Bit of background info here. In around October I was given two tortoises (a supposedly 3 year old female hermanns named Vera and a 2 year old male horse field) named Brian. they were kept together in a 3ft viv but I've now separated them into seperate customised vivs.
They were very frisky with each other which was a concern before separation.
On Saturday Vera (the Hermann) laid a surprise egg, and another today. I've currently got them in incubation. Just wondering is it possible that there fertile seeing as Brian and Vera are a different species? There smaller than I would of thought they'd be and she made no effort to nest etc. just kinda dropped them out , thanks in advance!!!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would bin these eggs, as deliberately breeding hybrids is not a good idea, especially between species that have such different needs. Did you provide nesting areas? If not then she would not be able to. They have to be much older than you say too, to be laying.

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

She is 18cm (carapace length) and the eggs are pretty tiny. Thanks for the nesting info I'll get it sorted out as soon as possible to ensure she's comfortable :D I'd feel really bad if I chucked them away though :(

Hybrids often have genetic problems and are usually infertile anyway. Would you feel bad about throwing a hens egg away? Same thing really and would be doing any possible hatchlings a favour to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users