• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

To be honest, I'm just curious as to whether my hermanns (Vera) is adequate. It's not exactly the norm. At night she sleeps in a 4ft by 2 ft vivarium which I've altered to provide ventilation. On the warm side which is a constant 30-31 degrees in the day are some quarry tiles and on the cool side which is kept at 20 degrees is a mound of a mix of aubiose and fitch (a paper equivalent of care fresh which holds moisture surprisingly well.

During the day I simply open one of the vivarium doors and she can come and go as she pleases in part of a room which has been segregated for her. Her climbs in and out to warm up under the basking light and uv and she seems perfectly happy and content.

Is this "accommodation" suitable for her or is it potentially harmful to her in some way.
Thanks!

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

Hi, I would say this is really not the best set up for her, letting a tortoise walk around parts of the house can be quite stressful for them and stress can lead to illness, it's better for them to have the correct environment and be in there at all times, with the correct substrate ( topsoil ) and heat and uv. :)

How old is your tortoise, have you thought of making an outside enclosure for her. :)

#3 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, the area she had inside has been specially sectioned off for her almost like a table on the floor, would this still have the same effect :thinking: regarding outdoors, she does have a summer time enclosure which she's been in a couple times this year on the odd occasion its warm enough ...on the age front, she's alot bigger than her supposed age would suggest (I was told three). She was given to me without a certificate so it's anyone's guess really. She's around 18cm measuring the carapace.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, the area she had inside has been specially sectioned off for her almost like a table on the floor, would this still have the same effect:/ regarding outdoors, she does have a summer time enclosure which she's been in a couple times this year on the odd occasion its warm enough ...on the age front, she's alot bigger than her supposed age would suggest (I was told three). She was given to me without a certificate so it's anyone's guess really. She's around 18cm measuring the carapace.

What's on the floor of the sectioned area is there any substrate at all or just some form of flooring, do you have any pictures as this would give us a better idea. :)

I think if she's a good size regardless of age she would benefit more from a permanent outside enclosure with a heated area, it just might be some thing to think about, at the minute im making a permanent outside enclosure for my hatchlings as I think it will be the best environment for them. :)

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

For a permanent enclosure, would I need a heat source e.g lamp out there for the inevitable cold days. I'll try and get some pics and it's just a section of laminate flooring with some cork bark and stuff. She having her evening soak as we speak (if she doesn't have one before bed, that's it she's in a bad mood all night) thanks for being so helpful :P

#6 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

I already have some pics of the viv but need to get some of the outer part :) excuse the mess she made, it was taken around cleaning time. Oh yeah and bedding depth is 15cm unsure what that is in inches :)

Attached Files

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

The habitat needs to be changed pretty drastically really. An 18 cm tortoise is almost adult size and will certainly be mature. It needs a much bigger area with deep soil to dig in and definitely not a constant temperature. Tortoises need to choose their own temps in order to thrive. Can you not provide a large open topped enclosure for it and an outdoor enclosure for summer, so that it can mooch around and explore?

#8 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

In the summer as I said she has an enclosure but it's not permanent (asked above about making it permanent :) ). Oh and the temperature whoops I forgot to upload the other pic, theres a gradient from 30 to 20 degrees right to left.

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:13 AM

Temps need to go much lower overnight, but just as important is the need to move around more, tortoises need quite large areas to thrive. Being boxed is not good for them really.

#10 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Thankyou for your help :P they go down to roughly 15 degrees c at night, is that okay?

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Should be fine ;)

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

For a permanent enclosure, would I need a heat source e.g lamp out there for the inevitable cold days. I'll try and get some pics and it's just a section of laminate flooring with some cork bark and stuff. She having her evening soak as we speak (if she doesn't have one before bed, that's it she's in a bad mood all night) thanks for being so helpful :P

Hi, yes for a more permanent outside enclosure it's best to have some form of heat out there, this way she can warm up on days that are not so good, this will be the best you can do for her as it's more natural and she will thrive a lot more, for the time been I would really look into the set up you have now for her as it's not really the best and wont be doing her any good, she will be a lot happier in a tortoise table filled with deep topsoil, until you got out side sorted. :)

#13 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

I'll have a good look into making my own table. thanks for all the advice :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users