• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

Can anyone please advice me as to how to get the best heat from the heat mat in the sleeping quarters of my tortoise table? It is attached to the inside of the roof/lid that covers his sleeping area but when I touch the same roof/lid on the outside, there is quite a heat yet my tortoise's shell doesn't feel that warm. I am wondering if it would help to stick the heat mat to a piece of polystyrene and this piece of polyester I could stick directly to the roof/lid? Would this act as a heat reflector and heat up my tortoise more?
All advice welcomed. Thank you.

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

Hi,

I would remove the heat mat altogether, they don't need any extra heat at night in fact it's better for them to have a drop in temperature. :)

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

Heat mats can be extremely dangerous to tortoises and contribute to dehydration, poor growth pattern and serious burns. Tortoises need a distinct drop in temps overnight and need deep soil to burrow into to thermoregulate, which is natural for them. Tortoises cannot warm up no matter how warm the room unless they can bask. This is how the shell works. Even on cold days they will be warm if the sun is out, but can be cold on hot days if in the shade. It's because they are cold blooded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users