4 replies to this topic

#1 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

This is Harry the school hamster, He stayed with us at xmas, he's a sweet little chap, very friendly loves to be held. We thought at xmas that would be the last time we would see him.. Thinking another child would look after him at the next half term holidays!! Sadly no-one volunteered, so my daughter said we would.. So it's Welcome back Harry Lol 😀🐹

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

Harry's lovely, our school doesn't have any pets that I know of, looks like you might have a lodger every holiday. :)

#3 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:31 AM

My daughter sits her GCSEs in May/June then hopefully will move on to Art college, The children planning to stay on for 6th form will hopefully continue his care, if not they may ask the year 10 children to care for him.

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm going into a primary school,next month to give a talk on pets in the school. Obviously it will involve the pros and cons of tortoises as school pets. Many people recently are considering them as pets for classroom without looking at the whole picture of long term responsibilities and husbandry requirements. It would be easy to just say, don't do it, but much better to provide sensible education on the subject and hope that staff and parents will take on board the wider picture. I've done articles for magazines in the past, but this will be a whole different scenario lol.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:37 PM

I often talk to the staff, parents and children in my school about my tortoises. The children love it and it is surprising how many actually own tortoises and are very knowledgeable about their care.

When I was a child we had goldfish in schools and as my family lived across the road from the school we were always tasked with the care of them during the summer holiday. The rest of the school holidays they were cared for in situ by the Headteacher who lived in the school house! My dad would put the fish in our garden pond as he never liked the idea of fish in bowls. Come September the school bought new fish so eventually we had a pond full of huge healthy goldfish!!!

When my children were at junior school the class kept stick insects!!! One day a secondary school child doing some work experience cleaned out the tank and put he old privet twigs in the bin. When the children were sitting listening to the end of day story, there were stick insects everywhere!!!! X x x hugs x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users