5 replies to this topic

#1 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:58 PM

Helped needed to identify please, I've been searching round friends gardens. Thankyou x

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Barney_*

Guest_Barney_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hi Tracey

not a lot here for tortoise feeding, but do keep looking in your friends' gardens as there is bound to be edible stuff there.

No.1 is Green Alkanet - not thought to be suitable for tortoises

No.2 is Red Campion - not edible

No.3 is an umbellifer, I'n not sure which one but it's not edible

No.4 is a teasel and the leaves are edible, my tortoises will eat a little of this one

No.5 has an aqualegia and wood avens in it and neither of those are edible

No.6 looks like red campion again

We can't be certain that these plants are actually poisonous but they are thought of as not being suitable foods for tortoises. Except the teasel which I consider to be suitable, but not a favourite.

Barney

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Very often plants considered as toxic to mammals are fine for torts due to
their differing digestive tracts. Many toxic plants are eaten when the plant is young, with no ill effects. Older more fibrous leaves (vbg) have a slightly different make up and therefore due to being held in the digestive tract for longer, produce more toxins in the gut ;) Buttercups for example provide a high percentage of the make up of tortoise faeces at certain times of the year. Later in the year they are ignored.

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

Tracey, I tend to use the Tortoisetable plant data base as a good guide as to what is ok to feed, though sometimes it is tricky to identify the same weeds when growing in situ!! Unfortunately at this time of year so much is 'springing' up and when we are told ' tortoises eat weeds', what is really meant is that 'although tortoises eat weeds not all weeds are tortoise friendly'. I was given a good tip a number of years ago, which was to introduce a few new weeds each year, that way you soon learn to identify the right ones.
X x x Hugs x x x

#5 Guest_Barney_*

Guest_Barney_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:04 PM

I find usually there is enough food for a couple of tortoises by feeding the 'recommended' weeds and other plants that are growing at that time, without needing to feed plants that are 'not recommended'. 

So I would say not to feed the red campion because it's got a big red flag with an X in it on the tortoise table site. It can't be worth the risk when there is other stuff around that is OK.

Broad and narrow leaved plantains are very good tortoise food and very common in gardens. Tracey if you don't know that one it's a good one to know!

#6 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Barney, Thanks Stella I planted up a "tortoise" weed seed mix pack & checked on afew of the weeds I have growing in the garden so feel safe in ones I have growing, just want to broaden the variety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users