• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-toby

Katie-toby

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was just looking for some advice on how to make my tortoise more healthier! I have had my tortoise since I was 11 and he has always been very active and eat well but over the last year I have been trying to make his enclosure and everything more natural for him and his diet better as I was looking on forums and saw that tortoises aren't actually meant to have a raised lumpy shell (pyramiding) of course when I found this out I was horrified as my tortoises shell is rather lumpy! I feel so bad that I had obviously been doing something wrong for his shell to turn out like it has.

Has anyone else ever made this mistake or looked after a tortoise with a lumpy shell? He seems happy and active but now I'm worried for his health. ( his shell isn't extremly bad like some of the pictures I have seen online)

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi Katy, welcome to the forum. :)

How old is he now, you can't change any damage done to his shell but could still make things better for him in the future. :)

Do you have any pictures of him. :)

#3 Katie-toby

Katie-toby

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

This is Toby! He's around 7 now I think! Does his shell hurt him being like this?

Attached Files

#4 Guest_Barney_*

Guest_Barney_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

Katie I've maybe answered too many questions on here in the last couple of weeks but it doesn't feel right to say nothing.

It is impossible to say that Toby is OK just by looking at his photo but to me there is not anything obviously wrong. Yes he is quite lumpy and it's probably got something to do with humidity when he was smaller and possibly diet as well. If he can walk normally and does the things we expect a tortoise to do then I wouldn't worry too much.

Does this lumpiness case Toby pain? No I don't think so unless there are other more serious problems too. 

It would be good if you had a picture of his underneath as well and his rear end. Someone on here will be much more able than me to say if Toby is alright there if you post one.

There are lots of captive tortoises with this amount of lumpiness. If his legs move freely and he walks with no problem then it's probably causing no problem at all. 

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was just looking for some advice on how to make my tortoise more healthier! I have had my tortoise since I was 11 and he has always been very active and eat well but over the last year I have been trying to make his enclosure and everything more natural for him and his diet better as I was looking on forums and saw that tortoises aren't actually meant to have a raised lumpy shell (pyramiding) of course when I found this out I was horrified as my tortoises shell is rather lumpy! I feel so bad that I had obviously been doing something wrong for his shell to turn out like it has.
Has anyone else ever made this mistake or looked after a tortoise with a lumpy shell? He seems happy and active but now I'm worried for his health. ( his shell isn't extremly bad like some of the pictures I have seen online)

Hi Katy, lumpy shells aren't always a big problem, it depends on why they are lumpy. If your tortoise didn't have u be or a supplement if D3 then it could be a problem, but if the overall shape of the tortoise viewed from the side is the same as a normal tortoise, then things could be fine. I have a couple of very lumpy rescue tortoises that now breed and apart from their outward appearance they are fine. If you have pics viewed from the side, it will help to show if your tortoise is likely to be healthy or not. If he walks tall on tiptoes, he is probably going to be ok.

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

This is Toby! He's around 7 now I think! Does his shell hurt him being like this?

Sorry, didn't see this pic. It does look as though Toby's shell might be more raised at the front than the back, which could mean a depressed spine, but clear pics from the side will show better. Does he walk low to the ground at all?

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hello Katie, welcome to the forum. As has been said it is tricky to say whether Toby's shell is causing him problems, because obviously he cannot say if things hurt and we can only guess what is going on by his outward appearance and by knowing how he has been raised and kept.

I have a number of tortoises which have bubbly shells, and they go about their daily life with no problems. As Sue has said a lot depends on other factors. Interestingly, the only one I have rehomed that has a smooth shell is one that was kept in a vivarium for 15 years.

As said Toby's 'lumpiness' could be just down to feeding/humidity and it could have begun before you even owned him particularly if he was bought from a pet shop and not a breeder. Once a tortoise has a bubbly shell this can never be rectified, though a change in how Toby is kept could stop the problem getting worse. You ask if he is in pain......If his shell appearance is just a cosmetic problem then I would say no, not as far as I am aware. I would liken this to, for example, your nails growing. We ( I think I am referring to most ladies) all like our nails to be long and smooth. But sometimes things affect our nails, like health, diet and age, causing them to become ridged and brittle. We are lucky.....we cut the ends off and if we get over our health issue, change our diet, or use vitamins to combat old age, then chances are our new bit of nail will grow perfectly. This doesn't hurt us. As with a torts shell, it doesn't hurt them when it is growing and when not grown perfectly because of diet, lack of vitamins or other causes they don't have the luxury of being able to start again. It is if stuff is going on inside that could cause discomfort.

However, if you have a look around there are very few perfectly formed, smooth shelled tortoises. It seems to be every keepers mission to get their tortoise shell like this, but as had been said so many things can go wrong, at which point we have to try and put it right. Husbandry has slowly changed over the years as people get a better understanding of what a tortoise is all about, we now have the internet which gives access to so much information, good and bad, and we have forums like these where help is at hand and discussions can be had. And of course, there hasn't always been the internet around so most long term keepers would, I guess, have been reading and 'muddling' though trying to do the best for their tortoise.

Katie, don't beat yourself up thinking you have let Toby down. You are in the right place to get some good advice and support and that in itself explains you are wanting the best for him. X x x. Hugs x x x

#8 Katie-toby

Katie-toby

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Here's a picture of Toby from the side, I will try and get one of his stomach later when somebody's in and can hold him for me. Thankyou all for the responses they have helped me to feel abit better about the situation! I just want to make sure that he is ok and happy. As for how he walks I think he walks high up, it looks like he's walking on his nails?
Thankyou for your kind words at the end Stella! It made me smile! I only want the best for him!

Attached Files

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

As you've put the pic up Katie, I will reply. Yes the line of growth would indicate that he either has or has suffered from MBD, which is a painful metabolic bone condition. If he walks tall with a visible gap below his shell when walking, then that would suggest that he is probably not in pain and the condition is under control. If the plastron touches the ground when walking then he needs further investigation. The type of lumpiness he has is almost certainly due to diet and possibly incorrect uvb or D3 supplementation. What we don't know when a tortoise has a deformed shell is what is going on inside, so if your tort does seem to have mobility problems, it might be worth letting an exotics vet do x-Rays and bloods, to get an idea of what is going on and how to rectify it. I have one with similar deformities, who after years of care is now almost as fit as my other tortoises, so never give up unless they are suffering.

#10 Katie-toby

Katie-toby

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:26 PM

Thankyou for your advice I will make sure to visit the vet this week and get him booked in for a check-up!

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:45 PM

Have you had him a long time Or is he a rehomer? If he is walking tall, he may well be ok just with a good diet with good calcium to phosphorous ratio, but if you think he may have been lacking calcium and uv been, I'd say it's best to get him checked out, but make sure you use a good exotics vet as normal vets will not have an idea of what they are looking for usually ;) Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users