• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Loopylou

Loopylou

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

Ok there is the chance - although not confirmed that I may be getting a couple of hatchlings at the weekend - its not definate yet as its all a bit complicated. I must admit I was hoping to get a older 'rescue' tortie but thats proved to be difficult! 

So if I do collect 2 hatchlings next weekend what do I need. I'll need to get everything ordered/ bought by Wed as I work a long day Thurs and Fri and then away sat and hopefully picking up the new additions on the way home....

I was planning on getting a 4ft tortoise table for indoors, however with a hatchling am I better off getting a smaller enclosure that I can pick up and take outside rather then keep moving them between indoor and outdoor enclosures? If so, what size should I get? Any recommemdations? I'd need one with a lid as I have cats as well. What other essentials do i need? top soil? Any brand people recommend? Lightling? 

I know longer term I will need scales - again any recommendations?

Ohhh I'm so excited!! :) So are the kids, I have 6 yr old triplets who have been selling drawing/ doing jobs since Xmas to save up for a tortoise! They have made nearly £40!

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hi :)
A 4 foot tortoise table would be perfect for hatchlings but i would maybe get an indoor large rabbit cage as you can move it in and out abit easier,also will protect against cats ect.also you will need a 10 or 12% uv lamp and i would say a 100-150w heat lamp or you can buy them combined together

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

Or also some calcium suppliments either nutribal or necton msa

#4 Loopylou

Loopylou

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

Thanks yes your probably right about the rabbit cage being lighter to move! How would I safely attach lamps to it? I'm a little bit paranoid about setting fire to my little tort (or house!!). 

Would that be what you would reccommend then? Having one environment and just moving it to the garden during the days?  I've cleared an area in the garden to build a outdoor enclosure but if I'm getting a 10 month old am i better to leave the outdoor enclosure until maybe next year?

#5 finndor

finndor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Reading - Walking - Horse Riding - Theatre - Computers/Gaming

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi Loopylou,

I am far from being an expert, however I too am having a couple of 10 month olds from Sue in a couple of weeks and I have just built 2 seperate enclosures, one inside and one out, its 3x4, but built so it can be expanded as time goes on, (see my post '2 weeks and counting'). The reason I have two seperate is its just easier for me that way, and saves work/money in the future, I think it is down to personal circumstances and what you feel most comfortable with.  :)

#6 Loopylou

Loopylou

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Oh how exciting finndor! Are you having 2 hatchlings? I was hoping to get 2 but I've been advised by the TPG to only get one as if they can't be sexed and unless they are 2 females I wont be able to keep them together?? Do you have photos of your enclosures... will go look at your post.

I too would prefer 2 enclosures, but obviously will take advice and make a decision soon. 

I would have preferred a older tort really as I'm a novice and feel a bit scared of having a baby! I need to get back to Sue in the next day or two with my decision.  :/

#7 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

My Jerry is around 8 months old now..He has an indoor table and an outdoor enclosure. It can seem a bit daunting, but it is best to start how you mean to go on. As Findoor says, you can build a small outdoor enclosure which can be expanded as the years go by.. The little ones are well adapted to life outdoors. In the wild they are self sufficient as soon as they hatch. So long as the run is predator proof, has a good water supply and shelter, you'll be fine. A company called Zoo Med do a lamp stand which may be useful with a rabbit cage (I don't know how tall these cages are)..There are two sizes so you would have to get the one that suits...http://www.amazon.co...tile lamp stand.

If the cage is quite tall perhaps the lamp(s) could even be suspended inside from the top.

#8 Loopylou

Loopylou

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

http://www.primrose....eo&showPLA=true

Do you think this would make a good outside enclosre for a 9 month old or it is too big? Thinking this wouldlast a few years??

I'd take the glass out of either both or one side and replace with wire mesh.

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

My Jerry is around 8 months old now..He has an indoor table and an outdoor enclosure. It can seem a bit daunting, but it is best to start how you mean to go on. As Findoor says, you can build a small outdoor enclosure which can be expanded as the years go by.. The little ones are well adapted to life outdoors. In the wild they are self sufficient as soon as they hatch. So long as the run is predator proof, has a good water supply and shelter, you'll be fine. A company called Zoo Med do a lamp stand which may be useful with a rabbit cage (I don't know how tall these cages are)..There are two sizes so you would have to get the one that suits...http://www.amazon.co...tile lamp stand.
If the cage is quite tall perhaps the lamp(s) could even be suspended inside from the top.

Sorry missed this post earlier. I use these lamp stands as they are quite secure and can be altered to suit the ambient temps too, when temps below the lamps can differ.

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

http://www.primrose....eo&showPLA=true

Do you think this would make a good outside enclosre for a 9 month old or it is too big? Thinking this wouldlast a few years??

I'd take the glass out of either both or one side and replace with wire mesh.

This would be fine Loopylou ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users