• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Hi,

I decided to have a full lab test done out of interest on Herbie and sent it to PALS laboratory. It came up positive for Aspergillus niger yeast infection and recommend seeking veterinary advice/treatment - everything else was negative(worms etc.) Has anybody had any experience of this and the implications/treatment etc. From the info I have found so far it is often present generally in a lot of houses and particularly in soil so wondering if it is from this?

Any advice gratefully received also anybody know of any good tortoise vets in the Gloucester/Hereford area?

Vikki.

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi Vikki
Is the lab you used specifically doing the test with regards to tortoises or just a general result that could refer to any animal? It's unusual to have a totally negative result for worms, as it's supposedly beneficial to have some parasites in the gut, to assist with digestion etc Before you go ahead and seek treatment ( if she is otherwise healthy) I would make sure it's a recommended reptile vet you see, just in case the presence of this organism is perfectly natural. It's a known probiotic, so it would seem odd to introduce it deliberately if it needs to be removed. I remember finding ballantidium in one of my torts once and being panicked by a forum member, only to learn that it was perfectly normal and would sort itself out, which it did. It would be worth asking Andy from TT for his opinion, he was very helpful with my findings years ago. I will have a look to see if there are vets on my list in the Gloucester area.

#3 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Sue - I have already been in touch with Andy on TT forum and am awaiting further advice. The odd bits I have so far picked up off the web have suggested that it is quite commonly occurring including in soil etc. hence why I thought I would get as much advice as possible before taking it further but obviously will do whatever necessary in Herbies best interests.

#4 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

Just be very careful Vikki, it's very easy to over medicate ;) Andy will give you good advice.

#5 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hi yes will avoid any unnecessary medicating if poss. I am sure you have previously recommended a good  product to help with gut bacteria when on meds - could you remind me what it is called? Thanks as always.

Vikki.

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

I use Avipro after medicating torts Vikki, but it depends on the medication and what is for. It's not always necessary, only if the gut flora is knocked down. Have you heard anything from TT yet?

#7 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Andy sent a post asking if there were any symptoms and so replied saying nothing obvious (does sometimes bed down quite early but that's about it)but not sure what I would be looking for but guess that it generally tends to be respiratory? Awaiting a reply from Andy but obviously with the time difference it may not be until tomorrow. As Herbie is not showing any obvious symptoms I am happy to wait a day or two - if I hadn't had the test done I would not be aware of the problem to be honest hence why I also don't want to rush into vets trips and medication :(

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'd say if there are no symptoms you are fine waiting until you hear. My guess is there's nothing wrong. You can do a search on any poop and find all sorts, even humans lol. Sometimes it's as well not to know :) I have a friend who worked for the cryptosporidium unit, eek, the tales she tells lol.

#9 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

yes I was certainly glad that one came up negative!! it is amazing what can come up on tests that would possibly have never otherwise been known. I only decided to do a full test this time out of interest - you know what they say about curiosity - but fortunately I haven't got a cat!!!!

Vikki. :laugh:

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

LOL

#11 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:14 PM

Have heard back from Andy and he advises that unless there are any symptoms to not worry as it is such a common organism and is found everywhere. I am not sure what symptomsd to look out for(!?) so have asked him to clarify.

#12 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

That's good then Vikki and much as I thought. I'd not worry at all about your tort as it's obviously going to be found in many torts. If you think about it, if it's a probiotic then it's not going to be harmful. If tort is eating well and otherwise active, I'm sure he will be fine. Try not to worry, they are healthy for being a bit mucky and the last thing you want is a sterile gut ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users