4 replies to this topic

#1 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi, the little patch of garden my son dug over for me to grow Sterlings plants/food is infested with Ants, do I need to be concerned? Is there a plant I could place in there that would deter them from that area as obviously I can't use a pest control.
Will it be safe for me to place Sterling's tortoise table outside if there's ants about?
Thanks x

#2 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

There were lots of ants in the area I dug when I constructed Jerry's enclosure. Black ants shouldn't cause too much of a problem but red ones will bite.

I learned that  apparently ants don't like Limestone Flour , I added around 15kg to my substrate not only because of  ants but also to boost the calcium levels in my my plants.

It does seem to have deterred the ants so far. I guess you could put a ring of it around your table and also dig it into your plant area. I have a link to a bulk supplier, if you need it let me know.

The only other way I'm afraid is a good dowsing with boiling water.

I don't know of any plants that would deter them but would also be interested to know.

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:08 PM

Ants are not a problem for torts. I got bitten several times on Santa Cruz, but the torts were unaware of their presence ;)
Fire ants were becoming a problem there, but as far as I know they are not to be found very often in UK

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:55 PM

I understand strong smelling herbs such as mint, rosemary, garlic, thyme, lavender can be used to deter ants from certain areas. The theory being that the strong smell of these plants disguise the smell that attracts the ants. I am not sure about the garlic but certainly the other herbs are tortoise friendly. It might be worth a try and let us know how you get on, and if it doesn't work you will get the benefit of lovely mint sauce and flavoured savoury jellies.... And restful lavender bags to help you sleep....... X x x hugs x x x

#5 emasen

emasen

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Reading, knitting, gym-workout, family-time🍷

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hi, thanks everyone I,ll give all ideas a go & let you know how I got on in a few weeks.
Tracey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users