• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie D

Stevie D

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Go out regularly to forage for weeds for Cyril, but he seems to be fussy and prefers dandelion flowers. His weight gain is fine for a hatchling just concerned about variety in the diet.

I have offered ...
Dandelion leaves and flowers 😃
Plantain 😊
Bee balm 😞
Cardoon thistle 😞
Dog violet 😔
Young Strawberry leaves only ☺️

Does anyone else have any suggestions about ratios of different weeds in the diet?

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

My torts love sow thistle.... It is about due to appear in the hedgerows soon x x x hugs x x

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

Go out regularly to forage for weeds for Cyril, but he seems to be fussy and prefers dandelion flowers. His weight gain is fine for a hatchling just concerned about variety in the diet.
I have offered ...
Dandelion leaves and flowers
Plantain
Bee balm
Cardoon thistle
Dog violet
Young Strawberry leaves only ☺️
Does anyone else have any suggestions about ratios of different weeds in the diet?

The ratios would naturally vary throughout the year Stevie. They will gorge themselves on whatever is available and then move onto something that appears later in the season. Mine are all guzzling dandelions right now as though their lives depend on it, flowers, stems, the lot. Within a few weeks there will be more clover, sowthistle etc. if you can't get too much variety depending on where you live, then continue to supplement them outdoors too, to make sure the mineral and vitamin uptake is good.

#4 Stevie D

Stevie D

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the advice guys
More ideas welcome

#5 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

I think the bigger the variety the better, but I guess we would all have a core of weed species that are readily available and used as the staple. I will usually feed one or two weed types daily, but never feed the same the next day, aiming for different food on every day of the week. I'm lucky really that Jerry seems to eat everything I offer him. His current favourite is the Purple Deadnettle that proliferates at the end of our garden. Over the next few months the variety we are able to offer will increase dramatically so we have to make the most of it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users