1 reply to this topic

#1 Ricky A

Ricky A

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Hi,  my daughters would like tortoises

I've been doing some research and it would seem that the Hermann would be the best breed, is this correct ?                                     They would like one each, is two together ok or would one be best ? I could possibly have two indoor enclosures but the outside one would have to be shared.

Also any advice, suggested books etc would be very much appreciated we are complete newbies and know absolutely nothing about tortoises

Thanks

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:09 AM

Hi Ricky, welcome to the forum. :)

Hermann's are a lovely species of tortoise to have as a 1st tortoise, if you were thinking of getting the two then it would be best to get them together straight away, as trying to add one at a later date might not work, I would advice you to get your hatchling from a breeder and not a pet shop as you will then know there healthy, the problem you might have if you get two is they can't be sexed until there around 4/5 years old and even though a lot of breeders incubate them to be female this isn't always 100% guaranteed and if you ended up with one male and one female then they would have to be kept separate both indoors and outside, maybe some thing to think about 1st, one hatchling will live just fine on it's own. :)

You will get all the help and advice you need here, any questions you have just ask there's always someone around to help, you might find this care sheet some help and also one on diet. :)

http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users