Outdoor Enclosure Advice

outdoor enclosure

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:04 PM

I think somewhere on this site Kelly fitted some sort of heating in a small tortoise house which seemed to work ok for her. The idea was a tubular heater which gave just warmth rather than UV, which encouraged Norman to go outside.
From your original post Cara, I read that you are looking at keeping your tort outside in the summer months.... If you have somewhere secure and sunny I would put her out, if you have the kennel it will be fine for her for the time being.
The complications arrive later in the year when the sun isn't quite so warm, but that gives you a while to organise what works best for you x x x hugs x x

#22 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hi I'm ben. I'm new to sight and having been considering getting a tortoise for sometime I wanted to get some info from actually owners of tortoises rather than going of info from a pet store who are just after my money and not wellbeing of the tortoise.

I know all I need for indoor habitat but what I remain unsure of is outdoor habitat for those warmer days.

Having spoke to landlord I have found I cannot dig up any portion of the garden grass and replace and lay mesh underneath nor can I dig up and remove the grass for a more suitable substrate. Will this prevent me from being able to give a tortoise a decent and enjoyable home or could I just get an outdoor mesh habitat and sit it on top of grass and just bring the tortoise back inside at might to prevent colder weather and local foxes/animals getting to the tortoise?.

Obviously I don't want to invest a lot of money into an animal and not be able to give it the required home it deserves.

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben welcome to the forum :)

It's good to see you do your research first, when keeping tortoises they must have an outside enclosure for them to thrive, it's also best for them to have a heat source outside as well for days that are not so good, a grass enclosure wont really work, they need an enclosure that's filled with soil, plants and rocks etc, also some thing to think about is they need this on a permanent basis as they get a little older, a tortoise wont thrive living on a table and just going outside the odd day. :)

You might find this helpful. :)   http://www.tortsmad.com/outdoor.htm

#23 viperzbite

viperzbite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hi Ben welcome to the forum :)
It's good to see you do your research first, when keeping tortoises they must have an outside enclosure for them to thrive, it's also best for them to have a heat source outside as well for days that are not so good, a grass enclosure wont really work, they need an enclosure that's filled with soil, plants and rocks etc, also some thing to think about is they need this on a permanent basis as they get a little older, a tortoise wont thrive living on a table and just going outside the odd day. :)
You might find this helpful. :)   http://www.tortsmad.com/outdoor.htm

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the information.

This is why I do research as to different reptile centres and a tortoise breeder have told me pitting down an enclosed outside enclosure on grass would be ok, not ideal but would be fine at least until I can build a semi permanent enclosure. But I have learnt with other reptiles I have kept in the past thay never good to take just the word of a pet store or breeder because they want to make a sale.

I may have to rethink my plans on a tortoise until I have my own home as landlord won't allow me to dig up garden. And if a temporary outdoor enclosure won't be good enough it would be unfair to get one and have it unhappy in an unsuitable enclosure.

Thanks for the advice.

#24 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare a breeder to a pet shop. Most breeders won't sell their tortoises unless they feel the new owner is committed to giving the tortoise the best possible care, with correct habitat etc. Most pet shops are just interested in making money, selling the most expensive equipment and pushing harmful, substrates and diets because this what they have been trained to do for a business deal. Reputable breeders will give top notch info because they care for their tortoises and don't want them to get sick. Reputable pet shops....................are few and far between with very little knowledge of Chelonia and how they have evolved to survive.
Rant over lol

#25 viperzbite

viperzbite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

I don't think it's fair to compare a breeder to a pet shop. Most breeders won't sell their tortoises unless they feel the new owner is committed to giving the tortoise the best possible care, with correct habitat etc. Most pet shops are just interested in making money, selling the most expensive equipment and pushing harmful, substrates and diets because this what they have been trained to do for a business deal. Reputable breeders will give top notch info because they care for their tortoises and don't want them to get sick. Reputable pet shops....................are few and far between with very little knowledge of Chelonia and how they have evolved to survive.
Rant over lol

Perhaps it was just this one breeder then but he told me I could keep on grass and keeps his on grass in summer or when wet her is good enough

#26 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:15 PM

Then he is probably not a breeder as this would not get his torts in breeding condition. He is probably a dealer of imports telling you porkies ;)

#27 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the information.

This is why I do research as to different reptile centres and a tortoise breeder have told me pitting down an enclosed outside enclosure on grass would be ok, not ideal but would be fine at least until I can build a semi permanent enclosure. But I have learnt with other reptiles I have kept in the past thay never good to take just the word of a pet store or breeder because they want to make a sale.

I may have to rethink my plans on a tortoise until I have my own home as landlord won't allow me to dig up garden. And if a temporary outdoor enclosure won't be good enough it would be unfair to get one and have it unhappy in an unsuitable enclosure.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Ben,

It maybe best to wait until you are able to provide the best outside enclosure for a tortoise. :)

I do agree with Sue that pet shop advice and a good breeders advice will be different, a breeder wont just sell a hatchling for a sale they make sure the hatchling is going to the best place, I know myself I have turned people down if I feel there not the right home for one of my hatchlings, I think your best to take your advice from keepers and breeders who are not here for any other reason than to help. :)

#28 viperzbite

viperzbite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Hi Ben,
It maybe best to wait until you are able to provide the best outside enclosure for a tortoise. :)
I do agree with Sue that pet shop advice and a good breeders advice will be different, a breeder wont just sell a hatchling for a sale they make sure the hatchling is going to the best place, I know myself I have turned people down if I feel there not the right home for one of my hatchlings, I think your best to take your advice from keepers and breeders who are not here for any other reason than to help. :)

ok thanks. Then I may wait on getting a tortoise til I can buy my own place. Probs a few years away but in mean time will look at something else. Always want what is best for my pets and if I can't provide that in rift now then not much point getting something I can't provide best home for.

Thanks for the info. Exactly why I came hear

#29 Cara_Garton

Cara_Garton

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

It's almost finished! Just needs some landscaping and a light in the kennel. Will probably just put a tubular heat bulb in there and hope he comes out for UV, is this correct? If there's anything else I need to do then please let me know!

Thanks

Attached Files

#30 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

At this time of year Cara he should get all the UV he needs naturally once he is outside. X x x xhugs x x x

#31 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Will probably just put a tubular heat bulb in there and hope he comes out for UV, is this correct? If there's anything else I need to do then please let me know!

Hi Cara..Your site and plans seem to be coming along well. I'm not too sure about the ramp though. Is there a reason why you have raised the hut? I think it might be better off at ground level. I'd be worried about your tort falling off of the side onto it's carapace.

It might be that you have more soil to add or you have done this for another reason, but if it must stay perhaps you could put some sides on the ramp for peace of mind.

As Stella says your tort will get UV naturally so a tubular bulb would be unnecessary..You may want to add some form of heating though. This can come in many guises..eg. Coldframe or Climate Frame to utilise natural light/heat from the sun, heat lamps for dull days as shown previously by Karen, tubular heater(not a bulb) for frost protection in spring and autumn.  :)

#32 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

I think like everything else Cara, things develop over time and to get things 'right' the first time actually can hamper development. Because we are supposedly getting to warmer weather.....I think we call it summer here in the Uk...... I would be thinking getting young tort into the fresh air and the benefit of natural sunlight is better than thinking about what to do if things get too cold later in the year. A great way forward is 'observation' ......and I would suspect you have some knowledge about what torts need.
As Keith says the ramp can be tricky and although in our human minds we know the dangers of not walking in a straight line, babe tort could fall off and land unpside down.... If you are not around things could be a bit tricky.
Cold frames are a great idea for warming up torts. The tortoise trust has started looking at a product called Lumisol, I am going to check this out. It is apparently able to let UV through so is ideal for torts. The bonus is that it is much less expensive than previous products doing the same thing. X x x xhugs x x x

#33 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

It's almost finished! Just needs some landscaping and a light in the kennel. Will probably just put a tubular heat bulb in there and hope he comes out for UV, is this correct? If there's anything else I need to do then please let me know!

Thanks

Hi Cara,

I agree I would try and have the kennel on the floor without the ramp so he can walk straight into it, tortoises will always take the easy option so might not use it as much. :)

#34 Cara_Garton

Cara_Garton

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for all your advice, the reason the kennel is raised is because it would take up too much of the space if it were on the floor, and so by having it raised it means there is still the space underneath. I will look at raising the soil underneath up to the ramp so that he can't fall off. We have brought some big rocks to add to the enclosure so now it's just plants and heating and some sunshine and he can move in
Cara

#35 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

You might find that the he would hide away in the wasted space underneath. Torts need to dig down when retiring for the night, so he might find this confusing. Most kennels, sheds greenhouses etc are set on soil for tortoises, allowing them to do things naturally. Often I find several tortoises missing at night, just to see them emerge from the soil in the morning, just like they would in nature. We really cant improve on nature, so the next best thing is to mimic it as much as possible ;)

#36 Cara_Garton

Cara_Garton

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:17 PM

It's finished! He's eaten almost all the petunias I put in his enclosure but he seems to be enjoying himself. He does sometimes sleep under the kennel but has got in the habit of going up the ramp when he needs to sleep. We put soil all around the ramp so it's more natural for him as well. Thanks for all your help!
Cara

Attached Files

#37 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading