5 replies to this topic

#1 finndor

finndor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Reading - Walking - Horse Riding - Theatre - Computers/Gaming

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hi – I am getting all confused with my temperatures…

In my indoor enclosure the warm end under the lamp reads between 32c and 34c depending on the time of day and surrounding temperatures (which I am guessing is as expected?), the thermometer probe is at my tortoise height so about 1cm off the floor and under the lamp. When I water the enclosure the temperature drops to 26ish and then slowly creeps back up to 32c over a day and half or so as the area dries out.

Should I be altering the height of the lamp so it’s a constant 32c reading on the thermometer regardless of what it says when the area is dry, or are they still getting 32c from above even though its  cooler underneath and I should leave it where it is?

Hopefully that reads clear – in my head it does……..

Many Thanks

#2 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi finndor,

I understand what you are saying. The temperature drop at 1cm would be caused by the evaporation of the water at surface level.

I  think I would leave the lamp as it is if it was me otherwise you'll be getting a higher temperature than necessary after the day and a half period.

I believe that Sue advocates watering from the side of the table so that it seeps under the substrate and not through ( correct me if wrong Sue). So this might be worth trying.

I only water a few small areas in my table so that Jerry has a choice of arid or semi-humid areas and don't seem to get too much of a temp. drop.

It's worth investing in a non contact infra red thermometer which would enable you to measure instantly the temperature of your torts' carapaces as well as the temperature gradient of your enclosure/table.

#3 finndor

finndor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thank you Keith - It all makes sense I just wanted it confirming really.

I have been watering  pretty much the whole area give or take a patch, i'll just do it from the sides and around the edges going forward, and see how I get on that way :)

I think I can get hold of one of them thermometers - thanks for the advice.

Tom

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hi finndor,

I understand what you are saying. The temperature drop at 1cm would be caused by the evaporation of the water at surface level.
I  think I would leave the lamp as it is if it was me otherwise you'll be getting a higher temperature than necessary after the day and a half period.

I believe that Sue advocates watering from the side of the table so that it seeps under the substrate and not through ( correct me if wrong Sue). So this might be worth trying.

I only water a few small areas in my table so that Jerry has a choice of arid or semi-humid areas and don't seem to get too much of a temp. drop.

It's worth investing in a non contact infra red thermometer which would enable you to measure instantly the temperature of your torts' carapaces as well as the temperature gradient of your enclosure/table.

Yes, that is exactly what I do and always remember that it's not an exact science and the best way is to give them the choice as in nature. Again as Gerry says, the infra red thermometers beat any enclosed one.

#5 finndor

finndor

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks Sue

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip