• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

What is a good weight gain per week/month?

I know sue said to me that in the winter it should be little if not at all but what about now? If there was a rough month by month guide of how many grams that'd be great.

Edward was 100ish grams when I got him in January and was supposedly hatched 2012

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I always say 2-3 grams when hatchling, but at this size a little more, so 3-4. At this time of year they are gaining most to make up for hibernation but weight gain slows again as autumn approaches. When they are around 200 - 300grams, weight gain is higher and as they approach adulthood it slows down completely. The best way to tell is to look at the lighter coloured growth line around the scutes. It should be very fine, like a fine pencil line. Any wider and weight gain us too high for that particular stage in its growth ;) Hope this helps.

#3 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Is that per month or week?

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

That's a month. :)

#5 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

I'm having real trouble keeping the weight off my tort this year. He gained 9g in April, 15g in May and has already gained 8g in the first two weeks of this month.

I've cut his food down already to 5g, he eats it and always seems hungry at the end of the day (sees me and runs to the edge of the enclosure expecting food) do I just need to cut the food down even more?

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

It's all to do with what you are feeding and how difficult you are making it for him to find it. Naturally they would walk a fair way, find a small nibble and walk some more for another tiny nibble. If you are handing it to him on a plate so to speak, he will gain more quickly as he doesn't have to do anything, just eat. How big is his enclosure? I never weigh food, just go by the fine growth lines on the shell, which equates to just a couple of grams a month for babies. It's in our hands really :) do you have any pics of his recent growth?

#7 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

His line on his shell is quite fine, do you need a few recent pics or just the one?

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

HI,

I would post a couple of different recent pictures. :)

#9 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

In my hand is today. By water bowl is start of may. On scales is mid April and eating is end of November

Attached Files

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

Wow, that's actually quite a lot of new growth. I know some of it is black, but it's a wide band rather than a thin pencil line. That's not a criticism, I know it's hard to judge. Give him some hard stalks to chew on, such as thistle stalks, dandelion roots and even the hard middle of a cauliflower so long as he doesn't eat too much of it. Good luck :)

#11 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

I don't get what's changed. I seemed to have this nailed last year and now he can't stop putting it on.

Thistle stalks you mean the main bit which is quite tough? How does that and cauliflower help? Do i feed that instead of something else? Take it I wash the roots of dandelion first and just let him eat it? Don't understand why him eating that will help?

What else can I do to help? Sorry for all the questions lol

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

Lol, as they say at slimming classes, it's all to do with what homes in the mouth. If you give him tough foods he will bite on those for ages, take little in and consequently gain less weight. He's obviously eating far too much to be gaining at such an alarming weight ;) Its not so much about what he is eating, but how much. Give him far less food, then something like the stalks that he has to work at but eats very little. How much are you feeding him now?

#13 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

It's not a lot. About 5 grams which is only like 3-4 leaves of dandelion/plantain etc (they're fairly big as trying to use well grown ones?)

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

I'm not sure why you are weighing it. 3-4 leaves of full grown dandies would feed one of my adults though TBH I'd just cut down on what he's having, it's a lot more than he would have in the wild ;) Good luck :)

#15 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

I'll take a picture of the size of leaves I give tomorrow if you could advise on that? It just seems like so little!

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

Lol, you are thinking human and not tortoise Sellwin90 :) Think of the wild at this time of year. Very little vegetation, no water! This is how tortoises have evolved and therefore how they do best. By the time they have eaten the equivalent of a quarter of a whole dandelion leaf they will have walked for quite a long way, then they will dig down in harsh conditions to conserve moisture in a temperature much cooler than we imagine. They will wake, walk a long way to find another tasty morsel by which time the sun is too hot to walk in, when they dig back down. Very different to what is available in this country. It's really easy to mimic, we just need to think tortoise :)

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

Is he still indoors?

#18 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

Hi Sellwin90,

If you put the food there for them they will just eat and eat not like us where we think I best not have that extra piece of chocolate cake, tortoises will just eat till it's all gone and still look for more, this is where we come in and have to think about the amount we're feeding, the amount your feeding is quite a lot, I wouldn't even feed that to all of my hatchlings and I could have 20 here, what your best doing is maybe feeding half a big leaf of a dandelion and then the next day a different weed leaf you could also add the odd flower in there for variety, then check his/her weight again, does he not have an outside enclosure. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users