6 replies to this topic

#1 Ocirne94

Ocirne94

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hi,

this young hermann has had a weird shell with uneven scutes ever since I found it as a hatchling (it was toppled over, during a storm). The local pet shop owner told me that a good diet and heat/lighting would fix everything, but after almost three years of fresh greens, nutrobal and proper lighting I definitely think something is wrong with it.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Ocirne

Attached File  img.jpg   45.14KB   3 downloads

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:51 AM

It looks as though it has had incorrect diet and no humidity or chance to bury itself. The scutes have not separated properly due to being kept too dry. Sadly it will not correct now, but a drastic change in habitat will help. Metabolic problems like this usually shorten the life drastically though unfortunately :(

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

For a tortoise to grow healthy it needs the correct environment as well as a good diet with supplements, what fresh greens is it your feeding. :)

Is the housing you have for this tortoise a vivarium, do you have a picture of your set up we might be able to give you some advice on this if you can post a picture, I would first of all change the substrate your using to topsoil and have a good depth of it, do you also know what temperatures your getting in the enclosure.

Unfortunately you can't undo what has already been done but with some changes could give this little tortoise a better life. :)

#4 Ocirne94

Ocirne94

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Hi,

the housing is an open-topped plastic tray similar to the one in the last picture of this article.

The substrate, in spite of the many ugly bits of wood, is supposed to be a "universal organic planting soil"; what should I use instead?

Fresh greens include some weeds from the tlady's mix and some vegetables marked as fine at the Tortoise Table.

Your concern about dryness is probably very appropriate - there is a small water bowl, but the substrate does appear quite dry :(
Would it help if I sprayed the substrate with water sometimes?

Thank you so much

Ocirne

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:04 AM

Hi Ocirne,

Yes your substrate looks more like a form of bark, I would change it to just topsoil and have a good depth of it, spraying the soil doesn't really work as the heat evaporates it straight away it's best to water the soil on a regular basis. :)

As for diet, weeds and flowers are best food you can feed, Hermann's shouldn't have any fruit or veg at all on the TTT where it says feed fruit sparingly it's to fruit eating species which Hermann's aren't, I would just stick to a natural diet of weeds and flowers.

Do you know what temperatures your getting in your table, also do you turn all the heat off over night. :)

#6 Ocirne94

Ocirne94

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

I don't have an exact measurement of temperature; the lighting/heating lamps are placed at about 30 cm above the ground, at one end of the tray, so that the other end is significantly cooler when the system is on.

Both lighting and heating are on an automatic timer which switches everything on at sunrise and off at sunset.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
I don't have an exact measurement of temperature; the lighting/heating lamps are placed at about 30 cm above the ground, at one end of the tray, so that the other end is significantly cooler when the system is on.
Both lighting and heating are on an automatic timer which switches everything on at sunrise and off at sunset.

You really need to aim for correct temps and humidity and to give the tortoise a choice or the condition will not improve sadly :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carapace, shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users