Photo
- - - - -

How Long Should Tortoise Be Kept Indoors Over Winter?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

I'm considering adopting either an adult Hermann or spur thigh. I want to know when they need to be taken inside the house? If he had a cold frame and small wooden shelter in his outdoor area, heated with heater could he stay out till he needed to hibernate. Sorry if this is a ridiculous idea!! I'm still exploring different ideas.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:45 AM

No, he would need more protection than a cold frame and hut could provide. He would need to be kept active until wind down and then a month with gradually reduced temps in a controlled way until he went into hibernation. Wind down is a crucial time with careful monitoring to make sure food is digested and expelled. If any food is left in the gut then it would ferment and likely kill him as he hibernated. The same goes for when they wake from hibernation, temperatures are critical and need careful monitoring ;)

#3 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Thanks sue, that's what I've just been told at tortoise fayre at woodford.I realise it was stupid idea now.just listened to talk by vet from lytham, fascinating stuff. Still looking for tort to adopt. Need to get my enclosure sorted for them to look at.
Sue A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users