1 reply to this topic

#1 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

SEVEN spur-thigh tortoises have been STOLEN overnight when a property in east Shropshire was broken in to (Wed 6th May). As you can imagine, their owners are devastated - they have had the adult pair for over 35 years, and five younger tortoises were also taken. The Police are involved and the Wildlife Crime Officer is also helping with the investigation. John Hayward (National Theft Register for Zoological wildlife Investigations) is also assisting.
Can I ask you all please to share this news in any tortoise groups you're in and keep your eye out for any spur thigh tortoises for sale, especially those without any paperwork. The tortoises are from the east Shropshire / Staffordshire area but could be anywhere by now. If anyone has any information, please message me or another member of admin. Let's try and get this family of tortoises home where they belong. Thank you!

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Shocking, but all too common nowadays sadly :( very often the press don't help by making statements such as 'rare' or ' valuable' which most of us know just isn't true any more as without papers they are basically worthless and even with papers, they don't command the high prices that adults used to several years ago. I am very wary of giving my details to anyone regarding my torts, as it only takes one unscrupulous individual to pass the word around. Sadly not enough offenders, when caught are given jail sentences, which might just be a slight deterrent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users