4 replies to this topic

#1 Nelson

Nelson

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Hi,

We have had our tortoise for 3 weeks now (he was born 2014) and he still hasn't passed a stool. He urinates when in a bath and seems to only eat if we hand feed him...won't touch what we leave in table/house. We are feeding him dandelions. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

#2 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hi Nelson,

Tortoise digestion can be quite slow. What temperatures do you have on his table as these are linked to digestion? He could even be eating his poo, they do that sometimes!

Are you feeding him anything other than dandelions? A good varied high fibre diet will help. Have a look on "The Tortoise Table " website to see what weeds to offer.

Apparently they can be quite stubborn with their feeding habits and the only solution is to be as stubborn yourself..I'd persist with leaving food in the table and cut out the hand feeding completely. He'll probably give you the sad eyes for a day or two..but he'll eat eventually. Keep up the baths every day at this age....Hope this helps. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:06 AM

Hi,
We have had our tortoise for 3 weeks now (he was born 2014) and he still hasn't passed a stool. He urinates when in a bath and seems to only eat if we hand feed him...won't touch what we leave in table/house. We are feeding him dandelions. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks

As mentioned it's early days, but I would not hand feed him myself or he will end up always having to be hand fed, which is not good, as he needs to be out and about exercising as he searches for food. Is he passing liquid urates when in the bath? I mention this as you say you are feeding dandelions. Dandelions are diuretic, so if fed alone will lead to constipation as they will dehydrate him. It would also be hard on the kidneys, so a varied diet is very important especially at this age. Try chopping some lettuce and cucumber and add it to his bath water to see if he is tempted to eat, but I would avoid hand feeding really. Another option re his poo is that he could be eating it while you are not looking. I take it you are weighing him to check for weight loss. Not sure what substrate you are using but this should also be damp at base level to avoid dehydration. Hope this helps ;)

#4 Nelson

Nelson

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thank you. That's really helpful. We are growing some of the plant suggestions so he gets a varied diet. He's got us wrapped around his little finger (like our daughters)!!

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Hi, you can't go wrong with what Keith advises. Keep the baths going because dehydration can be a problem and just leave the weeds rather than hand feeding. It maybe he is eating a bit and you are not noticing. Babes only need a small amount of weeds, so maybe at this stage if he is taking a few bites it is enough.
I would try the young leaves of Plantain, as this is generally thought of as the ideal tortoise food. I say young leaves as my hatchlings acted like children...... They refused to eat the stems of weeds and the younger shoots are more tender. A bit like children with crusts of bread x x xhugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users