10 replies to this topic

#1 katasaurus

katasaurus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Hiya, 

I was just wondering if anyone could help me, I've had my tortoise for about a year now and he/she is roughly three, the vet told me that Archie is a female however her tail is rather large and thick. I've attached some photos so if anyone could help I would be extremely grateful. 

I might just be worrying over nothing but do you think she is showing early signs of pyramiding? she's always had quite a "blocky" or raised sections on her carapace and i don't know if this is normal as I've seen a lot of hermanns with really smooth shells.

Attached File  11358734_698603670250483_2104545246_n.jpg   58.03KB   4 downloadsAttached File  11303668_698599920250858_796866706_n.jpg   44.93KB   3 downloadsAttached File  11350040_698603730250477_562384875_n.jpg   37.8KB   2 downloadsAttached File  11303604_698603750250475_367130066_n.jpg   82.42KB   2 downloads

Thank you! 

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

I'd get a new vet, he's a male. Yes he is pyramiding, but I've seen a lot worse. He looks huge for his age so fast growth could be one of the causes. What does he weigh? You also need to give him lots of humidity which he would have in the wild, so his substrate should be watered regularly (not sprayed).

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Archie is male, how much does he weigh. :)

#4 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

I'd get a new vet, he's a male. Yes he is pyramiding, but I've seen a lot worse.

Which vet do you use 'katasaurus'?  I live in Bedfordshire and though I've yet to use a vet for Jerry,  most say that Scott's is the best in the area for chelonia...http://www.scottvete...uk/exotic-pets/

#5 katasaurus

katasaurus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Hiya sorry for the late reply, thank you so much for commenting. 

Thank you for helping me sex him, he weights 284g. He has recently been put on a grass only diet with the occasional succulent and flower thrown in.  In regards to the humidity, what levels should his tortoise table be? iIn his hide there is currently straw, would it be beneficial to take that out and put soil and sand in to make the hide humid too?

JerryMaffz, I went to Acorn House Veterinary Surgery on Linnet Way. I might take her to Scotts next time then. 

#6 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

He has recently been put on a grass only diet with the occasional succulent and flower thrown in.  In regards to the humidity, what levels should his tortoise table be? iIn his hide there is currently straw, would it be beneficial to take that out and put soil and sand in to make the hide humid too?

JerryMaffz, I went to Acorn House Veterinary Surgery on Linnet Way. I might take her to Scotts next time then. 

Did the vet put him on a grass only diet? Whilst there are species of tortoise that thrive on a diet of grass the Hermann diet should consist mainly of weeds. They are plentiful at this time of year  eg. Dandelion, Mallow, Bristly Ox Tongue, Sow Thistle, Plantain..so you should be able to find a good (free) supply. Have a look at 'The Tortoise Table' website for more info. Try not to feed too much at a time as you are aiming for slow even growth.

Yes, replace the hide substrate with soil/sand as he will enjoy digging and it will help with thermoregulation. :)

#7 katasaurus

katasaurus

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Yeah the vet recommend the grass diet. Ah okay I'll go out and start collecting :). With other reptiles starve days are quite a common practice, are starve days often used with tortoises too? 

I'll reduce his food intake and put him on a weed and plant diet. 

Thank you so much for your help :)

#8 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

No probs, happy to help.

Some people do recommend 'starve days' for tortoises.

I probably only give Jerry just one or two days without food a month. However, now he's outside for the summer he can graze anyway.

In reality it's probably best to feed every day in varying quantities. I just feed once a day, in the morning, after his bath.

Everyone will have their own regimes that suit them and their tortoises though.

If you weigh him weekly you can keep a log of Archies weight fluctuations and vary feed accordingly.

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

hi
Hermanns shouldnt be on a grass diet,i really dont know where this vet got that advice,grass isnt good for hermanns to eat

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

Hiya sorry for the late reply, thank you so much for commenting. 

Thank you for helping me sex him, he weights 284g. He has recently been put on a grass only diet with the occasional succulent and flower thrown in.  In regards to the humidity, what levels should his tortoise table be? iIn his hide there is currently straw, would it be beneficial to take that out and put soil and sand in to make the hide humid too?

Hermanni don't digest grass well, that's an odd diet. Mine won't even touch it, pulling it from their mouths when taken accidentally with other food. Hay is a problem and will cause respiratory problems so best removed. I would suggest you find a new vet to be honest who has studied Chelonia rather than charging you good money for guess work :(

#11 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

Gosh, what a tort-ignorant vet! Archie is clearly a male, and as for a grass diet.................what???!
Check the vet list on this forum, katasaurus, or go to one recommended by the members.
PS. Checkout the Tortoise Table website for guidelines on correct feeding, you won't go far wrong at all:

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users