24 replies to this topic

#1 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Hi

I know my big girl, Barney, is going to lay her 2nd clutch very soon and so I've tried to be prepared this time. I have a homemade poly box incubator all set up and ready but I can't get the humidity up high enough! I know it needs to be 70% but I can't get it past 45%!! I have a heat mat on the bottom with a cooling rack on top and 2 sandwich boxes with damp vermiculite ready for eggs and the same sized sandwich box filled with water with a sponge floating in the water. The heat mat is consistently at 32 degrees as I just wasn't girls. Please help, what can I do?? :unsure2:

I haven't put in the air holes yet, how many and what size do I need? I don't want anoxia to occur :unsure:. Would this help the humidity??

Sorry for so many questions just getting worried.

Thanks

Dominique

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hi Dominique, have you tried putting hot water into your incubator to raise the humidity quickly. I guess at the moment you are practising in anticipation of eggs being laid. I have found the fewer the eggs the harder it is to keep the humidity at 70% so you will probably have to monitor daily. If you are running your incubator empty that may be a reason why you are struggling with the humidity at the moment. I hope this makes sense. X x xhugs x x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:06 AM

Hi Dominique, welcome to the forum. :)

How long have you had the incubator running, also do you have the cooling rack sat on bricks as this helps keep the temp and humidity stable. :)

#4 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

Hi
Stella, what your saying does make sense and I did wonder if it would change when I add the eggs. I'll have to wait and see. I added the hot water and it made the temperature rise too much so I would be worried about doing it again when the eggs are in there.
Karen, thanks for the welcome  :)  I have had the incubator running for a week now. I haven't got bricks in there I will make sure I buy two this evening. I assume they just need to be bog-standard house bricks? 
What about the air holes?

Thank you both for your replies! 

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:46 PM

Hi
I know my big girl, Barney, is going to lay her 2nd clutch very soon and so I've tried to be prepared this time. I have a homemade poly box incubator all set up and ready but I can't get the humidity up high enough! I know it needs to be 70% but I can't get it past 45%!! I have a heat mat on the bottom with a cooling rack on top and 2 sandwich boxes with damp vermiculite ready for eggs and the same sized sandwich box filled with water with a sponge floating in the water. The heat mat is consistently at 32 degrees as I just wasn't girls. Please help, what can I do?? :unsure2:

I haven't put in the air holes yet, how many and what size do I need? I don't want anoxia to occur :unsure:. Would this help the humidity??
Sorry for so many questions just getting worried.

Thanks
Dominique

You must add air holes or the eggs might die. What wattage Matt are you using, that could be the problem. Don't add hot water, that is more likely to make the temps skyrocket.

Edited by wizzasmum, 29 May 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hi
Stella, what your saying does make sense and I did wonder if it would change when I add the eggs. I'll have to wait and see. I added the hot water and it made the temperature rise too much so I would be worried about doing it again when the eggs are in there.
Karen, thanks for the welcome  :)  I have had the incubator running for a week now. I haven't got bricks in there I will make sure I buy two this evening. I assume they just need to be bog-standard house bricks? 
What about the air holes?
Thank you both for your replies!

Sorry didn't see this before I replied, as you have found, hot water is a no no. As Karen says, the bricks will help hold humidity once it has built up, a bit like a damp house lol

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

I suggested the hot water Dominique as it is a quick way to raise the humidity for you to be testing your homemade incubator. I thought that if you managed to get it to 70% you could then tweek about with other stuff to maintain this level. I am glad you noticed how quickly the humidity level rose. X x x hugs x x x

#8 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

You must add air holes or the eggs might die. What wattage Matt are you using, that could be the problem. Don't add hot water, that is more likely to make the temps skyrocket.

How many air holes do I need to add and how big do they need to be?

#9 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

I've now added the bricks so hopefully this will help. The heat mat is the ProRep 10 x 12 inch, 13 watt and was also just about the right size to fit in the box. It's been reaching 31/32 without a problem so far. The picture is the incubator.Attached File  20150529_185009.jpg   34.32KB   0 downloads

#10 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

Hello...let me start by saying that I know nothing at all about the incubation of eggs :) ..but surely a greater surface area of water would create higher humidity, and you seem to have space for another container there.

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

The idea of putting a sponge in is for the sponge to be the same dimensions as the container, but protruding above the dish, meaning a higher surface area, as mentioned. Hope this helps

#12 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

The idea of putting a sponge in is for the sponge to be the same dimensions as the container, but protruding above the dish, meaning a higher surface area, as mentioned. Hope this helps

This is a bit scientific and therefore hopefully this is correct as this isn't my strongest point...... Yes the surface area is increased by the sponge, for example the holes in the sponge will by themselves create extra 'surface' area, and if the sponge is kept damp then as it acts like a candle wick water will be sucked up to the surface by capillary action.
Therefore, my common sense is saying, like Keith, if one pot doesn't achieve the desired % then put another one in. I hope this helps x x x xhugs x x x

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

I was merely responding to the pic of a dish of water with sponge floating in it, to illustrate that this wont actually make any difference. The sponge has to actually serve a purpose, by protruding from the water. I dont use them myself as they have a tendency to hold bacteria and find just a plain dish of water works really well.

#14 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, I was away for the weekend. Science clearly isn't my strong point either! I have replaced the small sponge (lol by bad) with one of those big car wash sponges so it fills the container and protrudes above it. This morning the temperature was at 31 and the humidity was 64% however this had dropped down from 66%. I assume I can always add another container and sponge to raise it further?

Thank you all for your help so far I really appreciate it! XX

#15 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Yes, I think that was already suggested, but be wary of going too high as you don't want mouldy eggs. Mine rarely reaches 80% but I don't have problems with hatching ;)

#16 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

Ah! My incubator is still empty but with 3 massive sponges in there and condensation on the walls I'm still not even hitting 60%! I can't think what I'm doing wrong. I even did the salt in a bottle cap test to check my hydrometer and it's fine! :-( I think poor Barney is crossing her legs until she knows everything is ready! Seriously considering buying a hovabator, would I still get a humidity issue with one of those???

#17 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

Morning Dominique, I do not know about a hovabator, I use a Reptabator which I have had for years. I use external devices to measure temps and humidity because I struggled getting the humidity right using the one on the box. It works fine except that there has to be some water 'top up' occasionally to maintain the right humidity.
I wonder if you have a faulty hydrometer. I know you have checked it but with all that water you should be getting a higher reading...... I would have thought . X x x xhugs x x

#18 Dominique139

Dominique139

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Morning Stella, I thought the hydrometer could be faulty too so I tested and added another one and put it at the other end of the box. They read about the same. I tweaked a couple of things last night and the humidity has risen to about 63% but I don't know if that's good enough or is stable...

#19 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

If you are using the method you describe Dominique, I would not worry unduly. 63% is fine. I have been incubating eggs this way for many years and its worked just great. While its important that the eggs don't dry out, people do go a bit over the top on exact figures. Try taking the hygrometer and putting it in a spot under ground where they did naturally, I bet its not a lot different ;) I will let you into a secret, I've not used one for several years lol. I have a hovabator and its become unreliable, so I disconnected it and fitted it with a small heat mat and pulse proportional stat and its run fine ever since ;) Think about a room in your house. No matter how many containers of water you have, you are not going to raise the humidity above a certain point unless you are boiling a kettle or pan, but it will still encourage mould to grow etc, so as I say I would not worry too much. Good luck

#20 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi dominique
I wouldnt worry bout doing it to text book figures as in the wild depending on where they lay im sure humidity levels have a huge range

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: incubator, humidity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users