5 replies to this topic

#1 StaceyVictoria

StaceyVictoria

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hello!

I'm new to tortoises and am hoping to get a hatchling Hermann in the next few months, for now I'm just getting everything set up and ready.

One thing I can't seem to get my head around is the lighting and heat, I have a tortoise table that is 32 inches in length and 14.5 inches in width.

I've been reading through the forums and have seen a lot of people mention using a arcadia t5 tube light, if I had something like this would it need to be placed along the top of the table going length ways? Would this light only provide uvb and uva rays with no heat? If so, what would be the best bulb for heat?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Stacey

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:59 AM

Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum. :)

The arcadia t5 is a good strip bulb, I have this in my hatchlings table, this only gives off uv and no heat, for heat you will need a ceramic holder and a normal household spot bulb that you can buy at most shops like Asda, Morrison's etc, both uv and heat bulb need to be placed together in the table,  you can buy a combined bulb though that does both heat and uv together these just fit into the ceramic holder. :)

#3 StaceyVictoria

StaceyVictoria

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

Hi, thank you 😊

Ah that's great thank you, I think for starters I might get a combined bulb and as I get more used to everything I'll branch out into the seperate ones.

Thank you for your help!

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hi Stacey
I agree with Karen the t5s tubes are the best on the market in my opinion,getting the starter kit is around the 80-90 pound mark but worth the money,the thing i find with combi bulbs is that they dont light up the whole enclosure very well wich hermanns need high light levels,with the tubes you can buy them in different lengths to suite you encloser giving light through out the whole tortoise table and a wider spread of uv
Regards matt

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

The T5's are a very good bulb and I like these in my tort table, I do also use combined bulbs as well in different set up's one in a temp tort table and some in my shed, I find the mega ray a good combined one. :)  http://www.mega-ray.co.uk/

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

I love the megaray ones too. I've used numerous combis and found the megarays to me most reliable and for whatever reason, they seem to promote activity in the babies more than others too. I use the old uvb tubes as extra light, especially at either end of the season when natural light is lower ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hermann tortoise, Basking, Heat and light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users