• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

1. Edward often falls asleep under his lamp. Is he in danger of overheating or will he wake himself up if he's too hot and move?

2. I'm going away for a weekend next month. I leave on the Saturday and back early Monday. Shall I put two days worth of food out for him and if he eats it all on the first day, then tough luck?

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

Hi
Yes him sleeping under the heat lamp is a big concern especially if there for a long period of time,yes he may wake and move away but id keep a close eye.
As for the food i wouldnt worry for a couple of days its not going to hurt.have you got someone checking in on him when away?if not you could have a couple of dull days with maybe just the uv light on not the heat lamp

#3 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

The light is a combi and on a timer. The girlfriend will check in on the Sunday evening but can't do before.

He doesn't fall asleep too often under there and I'm not totally convinced he's asleep - eyes are closed but a bit of noise and he opens them to have a look. I can obviously monitor this when I'm there but can't when away/ at work

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

If he was mine I would just switch off on Friday when you leave and back on again when you are back home. Don't leave food out as this will not be eaten/digested and will attract small flies. This would happen in nature during cool weather and do no harm, but do make sure the substrate is moist to prevent dehydration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users