• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:41 PM

Being a responsible tortoise owner I wish to make provision for my tortoise in my Will. Unfortunately however, as there are no family members or close friends willing to take on such a commitment long term, I am hoping someone in the forum can offer me some suggestions/advice of what I can do to ensure that should something happen to myself then at least my tortoise can continue to live a happy life being well looked after. Thank you.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

What I have done is to give my daughter contact numbers/emails of people who I know in the tortoise world, so that they will be able to help if the time comes. I do give her more contacts as reliable people are added to my phone list. I know she would take on the old favourites, but not all of my 'gang'. As far as I know there isn't a registered organisation that does this and I would always be wary of just offering him/her to a rescue group, as 'sometimes' they can fall into the wrong hands, particularly where breeding age females are concerned. I would let your family members know that there are contacts in your phone address book under the name tortoise, so that if ever they have to deal with this distressing problem without warning, they will know where to look. Sorry not to have been more help.  

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

That's a good idea Sue. :)

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

LOL, I'm a bit paranoid with my torts as you know Karen and having seen some of the 'unscrupulous deals' in various rescue groups over the years, I don't want any of mine to fall into the wrong hands, ever!

#5 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. Only problem being that this forum is the only connection I now have with people in the tortoise world. It would have given me such peace of mind to know that my tortoise was provided for but I guess this will need to be a work in progress.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

It all depends on what you would wish for your tortoise. Sadly, the people who run many rescues are only too keen to get hold of females for breeding etc and some have even been known to sell rehomers. Once you have used the forum for a while you will get to know people and learn who you can trust. There are facebook groups too that you can join, but again care needs to be taken as, in all groups there are people lurking who are not always what they seem. Whereabouts in Scotland are you? You might get to know someone in your area who you can keep in touch with.

#7 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Thank you for your reply. I very much appreciate you trying to help me.
I'm in Perthshire. Distance wouldn't be a problem so long as I knew he would be going to a good home should the occasion arise, which hopefully it won't for many years.
However, I don't use facebook so that's not a possibility.
My tortoise is male.
I just wanted to make sure he'd be okay but I can see the concern with regards to rescue centres. Looks like there is no easy answer.
Thanks anyway.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

I do not know your circumstances but perhaps they will change in years to come. If you are healthy at the moment I would suggest enjoy your tort and don't worry unduly for the future. Only you know about your health and if you begin to feel you are finding care is tricky then you need to look towards rehoming.
Sadly, it is more tricky to rehome males, but there are people who are maybe first time keepers or require males to complete their creep. X x x xhugs x x

#9 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

Thanks Stella.
My health is not an issue/concern. It's merely a case of me wanting to provide for my tortoise in my will to ensure he would have a safe and good home.
As you correctly say though circumstances could well change in the coming years. Thanks again. Xx

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Thanks Stella.
My health is not an issue/concern. It's merely a case of me wanting to provide for my tortoise in my will to ensure he would have a safe and good home.
As you correctly say though circumstances could well change in the coming years. Thanks again. Xx

Lol, mine neither, but if it was it might be too late to sort the problem ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users