Tortoise Head Banging!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mojo

mojo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Horses, caring for and riding them, breeding Cocker Spaniels. Badminton and Tennis

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Help, I have had my  Hermann Tortoise over 35 years, never had a problem with him, but last few weeks, since weather got hotter he keeps banging his head against a concrete post, or the pear tree trunk, repeatedly for over half hour or so, I keep moving him but he goes straight back to it, I put bricks around the tree, but he climbs over and has mouth open making a strange noise, I wondered if it may be to do with mating instincts?  Has anyone come across this before.  He seems determined and stroppy about it and will not stop.  I tried putting him in a pen to cool off, but he started butting that too.  His shell over his head is being knocked and will wear down.  Has anyone got any ideas.  His overall appearance is normal and he is eating his food, although he will not eat anything except cucumber, lettuce and fresh picked dandelion leaves, and has always done this, and has had no trouble health wise.

I have tried to upload a photo but it will not load.

Thank you Mojo

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

It's male behaviour. Odd that it's taken so long to surface. His diet is not great and the only reason he will only eat this is because it's allowed. Cooling him down will help. Give him a cool bath and only offer decent food. Serious health issues can surface thirty years or so down the line of incorrect diet ;)

#3 mojo

mojo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Horses, caring for and riding them, breeding Cocker Spaniels. Badminton and Tennis

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thank you for your reply and information, He has just been doing it again and I have bathed him to take his mind of the bumping shell business.  I will look into changing his diet - do you have any suggestions on what to start changing his lettuce and cucumber diet that he loves.  Now I have found this site I can look up more info.  I do hope he stops doing it, it lasted ages today and his shell will wear down over his head, he does not stop if I put him in a pen, he just bumps that instead.  Thank you Mo

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

For his diet he just want's a natural diet of different weeds, plants and flowers, with as much variety as you can, you might find these helpful. :)

http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp

#5 mojo

mojo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Karen had a look, will try the different plants, we have some of them growing in another part of the garden to where he eats, so will pick some.  Then the ones he likes I can plant around his part, we are just starting to re-do this part of garden.  Mo x

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thank you for your reply and information, He has just been doing it again and I have bathed him to take his mind of the bumping shell business.  I will look into changing his diet - do you have any suggestions on what to start changing his lettuce and cucumber diet that he loves.  Now I have found this site I can look up more info.  I do hope he stops doing it, it lasted ages today and his shell will wear down over his head, he does not stop if I put him in a pen, he just bumps that instead.  Thank you Mo

Does he have lots of room? Just wondering how to distract him. What part of Shropshire are you in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users