11 replies to this topic

#1 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Hi all,

I'm becoming worried about how quickly Derek is gaining weight, way more than the recommended approx 3g per month. At first we thought it was a little extra as he came out of hibernation then it would settle down but it hasn't. We've tried reducing the amount we feed him but then he tries to eat the soil. I've attached a photo taken today as I know you can tell a lot about his growth and whether its causing any damage from that. I've also attached his weight record sheet to show how much he's putting on (he hibernated between Jan - march).

Any advice appreciated as always.

Becca

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

Hi Becca,

He/ she has gained a lot of weight in a year, especially when there has been a hibernation in there as well, you really need to slow his growth down because if he carries on gaining weight like this he will be adult size by the time he's five and this really isn't healthy for him and could lead to problems, what is it your feeding him and how often, is he still in a table or does he have an outside enclosure. :)

#3 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

He is still in a table indoors. lights, temps etc are still the same, which I checked on here before so I know they are fine.

We feed him dandelion leaves, lambs lettuce, radicchio. He gets fed once a day on a morning, just a small amount on his slate, which is usually gone within 5minutes.

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

I cannot advise but I do know some owners give their tortoises free reign on food and do not worry about quick growth. Their reason being that it settles down in time. Advice on this forum has maintained that a 'large' hatchling will settle down to normal rates of growth.
I have two hatchlings, one 19gms hatched the other 8grms hatched....and am still awaiting what would be acceptable growth

Do you make Derek work for his food.....I mean scatter it about and make him work to find it.... That would help reducing his weight. also are there things in his enclosure he can climb on ....Derek needs activity as well as feeding. As said before I know of keepers who keep their torts indoors all the time but there is no substitute for the outdoor life. If you could get an outdoor enclosure so Derek could wander all day . I am sure you would see a benefit. X x x hugs x x x

#5 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

His food is always on his slate but he does constantly wander and has a hill, bridge, logs and stones to climb on. Our plan is to get him outdoors but we don't have electrics outside at the minute so got quite a lot of work to do to get it ready for him. Couldn't do without either as its too cold here for him other wise.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

His food is always on his slate but he does constantly wander and has a hill, bridge, logs and stones to climb on. Our plan is to get him outdoors but we don't have electrics outside at the minute so got quite a lot of work to do to get it ready for him. Couldn't do without either as its too cold here for him other wise.

He will be fine outdoors when the sun is out Becca. Leave him out 24/7 and until you can get electrics out, just bring him in if the bad weather is more than one day. I know a keeper who has African sulcatas in Scotland which are absolutely thriving. I would say he needs more room, lower temps and some natural sunshine and obviously less food which he will self regulate in outdoor conditions. You could also give him a little cloche or cold frame too ;) remember to net his enclosure though if you have magpies or seagulls.

#7 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Opinion about growth rings. hope you can see photo here?

Attached Files

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Slightly excessive for this time of year. I would give her more to do and less food and possibly heat

#9 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:38 PM

OK, less heat, only planted food so she has to go and get it. I'm putting stuff higher up to make her reach and climb. Maybe get her a little treadmill;-) tee hee!!!I'll also not worry if she doesn't eat on odd days? Thanks sue

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

Tell her she will come back here if she doesn't behave, that should sort her out ;)

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

She'll be good then :lol:

#12 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:37 AM

Ill tell her!! Shes going to yours, so your lot can teach her a bit of disipline.:-) I think she was used to getting all her own way at her last place, hence molly( coddled).sitting there like a little princess being hand fed. She sits in her house doorway waiting for food to arrive and only moves when a dandelion appears in front of her. To be fair, once she's out she is learning to go and look for it now and is trying new foods.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users