3 replies to this topic

#1 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

image.jpg2_zpsn56tt5y5.jpg

I have already asked a few questions and am so happy there is so much support here. Wimble was an unplanned addition, and not in the best of circumstances but we have made the best of it with some super speedy setting up and hours (and hours) of reading online.

My obsession with torts started young in life, my house and garden have been littered with tort figurines and images since ever since I can remember. I have also worn the same tort (turtle) necklace for twenty years. Up until recently I was a career woman - I'm not sure why my profile says male, must look into that - now I work from home part-time, giving me lots of pet orientated indulgence time.

I grew up in a veterinary environment so animals and their absolute correct care are a passion, I also have two budgies who share our home (well, rule it really!) and four fish in the garden pond. I would have more but my long suffering partner is almost totally averse to most animals, not really understanding the joy of it all - I do find him being a softy with them all when he thinks I'm not looking tho!

Hopefully you can see the piccy, I was wondering what was used to write the numbering on and if it is safe? I haven't attempted to remove it, Wimble is bathed every day and I sprinkle water on his shell as I thought it was a chalky substance but it doesn't seem to be fading?

Anyways, I already love him dearly, I have even made an appointment with my solicitor to change my will to accommodate him, so daft. My mum made me laugh, she doesn't like torts too much and said "Don't leave him to me!!"

Fortunately I have two godchildren and two step children who already adore him, so I'm spoilt for choice and he's not even fully grown :)) can you tell I am a forward planner yet? Hehe.

I have started his out door enclosure and will have lots and lots of questions in the coming days and weeks which I shall save for other posts.

Amyways, Happy Summer Solstice everyone :)

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Wimble's absolutely lovely, so cute. I can't help you too much with most of your questions, sorry, I'll leave them to the experts, who will endeavour to answer them on this forum for you. What I would say is that the lettering on Wimble's shell is probably gloss paint or some other oil-based substance; you'd need an organic solvent to remove it, but this could be damaging, so I would advise you to leave it, it will eventually weather off.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

I have already asked a few questions and am so happy there is so much support here. Wimble was an unplanned addition, and not in the best of circumstances but we have made the best of it with some super speedy setting up and hours (and hours) of reading online.

My obsession with torts started young in life, my house and garden have been littered with tort figurines and images since ever since I can remember. I have also worn the same tort (turtle) necklace for twenty years. Up until recently I was a career woman - I'm not sure why my profile says male, must look into that - now I work from home part-time, giving me lots of pet orientated indulgence time.

I grew up in a veterinary environment so animals and their absolute correct care are a passion, I also have two budgies who share our home (well, rule it really!) and four fish in the garden pond. I would have more but my long suffering partner is almost totally averse to most animals, not really understanding the joy of it all - I do find him being a softy with them all when he thinks I'm not looking tho!

Hopefully you can see the piccy, I was wondering what was used to write the numbering on and if it is safe? I haven't attempted to remove it, Wimble is bathed every day and I sprinkle water on his shell as I thought it was a chalky substance but it doesn't seem to be fading?

Anyways, I already love him dearly, I have even made an appointment with my solicitor to change my will to accommodate him, so daft. My mum made me laugh, she doesn't like torts too much and said "Don't leave him to me!!"

Fortunately I have two godchildren and two step children who already adore him, so I'm spoilt for choice and he's not even fully grown :)) can you tell I am a forward planner yet? Hehe.

I have started his out door enclosure and will have lots and lots of questions in the coming days and weeks which I shall save for other posts.

Wimble is just lovely, and it's nice to see you doing all this research to get every thing right for him. :)  we are happy to help with any questions you have regarding his outside enclosure when your ready, and I've changed your profile to female. :)

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Happy summer solstice to you too and welcome to the group, Wimble too :)
I'd agree with what the others have said re care etc and we are all here to help you along the way. Dealers use tippex pens sometimes to mark the shells but not usually to such an extent, fancy spoiling his lovely patterns like this. I use dots of nail varnish for my babies which comes off easily with a q tip and a bit of bail varnish remover, you could try that but wash his shell carefully afterwards of course. Lovely little tortoise ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users