• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ashwin2936

ashwin2936

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hello everyone, i recently acquired a tortoise, It is a herman, born august 2014. Can anyone tell me the subspecies?

I have a table set up with a basking lamp and uvb bulb. Please take a look at the pictures, some feedback would be great. he/she has just weighed in at 41grams and SCL 60mm. I am using top soil/play sand mix as substrate. I have some tortoise seeds currently in a few seed trays which i will place in the table once growing. At the moment i am just picking weeds that i have read are safe to feed. I bathe the tortoise for 10 minutes a day which i have read online. Anything else i need to know

thanks 

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

I hope you don't mind me saying but I think you need to make a few changes to your set up, 1st you need to change the heat and uv lamps, these both need to be together and they need to be pointing straight down not on an angle, they would also be better with reflectors on them, what bulbs is it that you are using in there?, also I would remove the sleeping box away from the lights they do a lot better sleeping in a cooler part of the table, it would be best to remove this altogether, I would also just have topsoil as substrate with out the sand added, sand can cause a few problems, including irritating their eyes. :)  

Have you taken temperature's in the set up as these are really important to the tortoise, they need the correct basking temperature and also they need the choice of having a cooler part of the table, have a look at this I think you will find it helpful. :)  http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

It is looking boettgeri at the moment. I agree with Karen re lighting. Your uv is not going to work without a reflector and even then the position needs changing to horizontal and being well away from a hide area. To be honest you are better without a hide area and just letting him dig down. You may find a few problems developing with your present arrangements. Not a criticism, just a friendly pointer ;)

#4 ashwin2936

ashwin2936

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

Ok thanks for the replies, just to confirm that i am trying to get a reflector at the moment, the first picture is with the lid lifted up, i am using this top lid as a make shift reflector which you can see in second picture. at the moment i am getting 30 at the light end and around 22 the other, i have put the little box there to try and get it a little warmer in that corner, but will remove if you advise.  The 2 bulbs are below. can you advise me where to get some reflectors for these. I am going to be changing the table for something a little bigger as i had to put this together quick. So i will change the substrate in the next week hopefully. 

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o06_s00

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o06_s00

Would this reflector be beneficial?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item336fcc7b22

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

Next time you need to buy a basking bulb you can just buy an ordinary household spot bulb from most supermarkets they cost about £1/ £2 you don't need any fancy names as they do just the same, as far as I am aware the uv bulb you are using isn't very good, tortoises need at least a 10% uv bulb. :)

Have you not thought of using a combined bulb these are really good. http://www.mega-ray.co.uk/  :)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

You must never heat a hide area, these are areas where a tortoise needs to retire at night, although I prefer enclosures without them. Night time areas must be a lot cooler than other areas, never warmer. 40 watts is not much use to be honest, I find 100 watt normal spot bulbs to be much better, raised higher so they cover a bigger area. If you compare your light levels with outdoors, it's probably 100 times dimmer, which will not stimulate activity. If you have an Arcadia uv bulb, then get an Arcadia reflector which will ensure corrects placing too although I much prefer a strip uvb to any compact to give better feel good factor.

#7 ashwin2936

ashwin2936

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Update

So i have built a larger table 1300 x 680. I have changed substrate to just topsoil now. I have replaced my lighting with the 100w megaray. I am unable to put him/her outsite until next year when i will be moving. So the table is on a large windowsill which receives sunlight throughout the day.

The topsoil is 1.5" deep at the moment. Is this sufficient?

Still waiting for the weeds to grow. would it be okay to put some of the seed tray into the substrate once they have grown?

Is there anything else i can add to the table as its looking a little bare at the moment.

thanks

Attached Files

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

Looks good, I would add a good few more inch of soil as this will give a good depth for him to dig down when needed, you could add some plants I have carex grass in mine and its lasted well, heather lasts a bit in there as well, you could also put some rocks etc in for him to climb over, just keep under the lamp clear. :)

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

Update

So i have built a larger table 1300 x 680. I have changed substrate to just topsoil now. I have replaced my lighting with the 100w megaray. I am unable to put him/her outsite until next year when i will be moving. So the table is on a large windowsill which receives sunlight throughout the day.

Still waiting for the weeds to grow. would it be okay to put some of the seed tray into the substrate once they have grown?

Is there anything else i can add to the table as its looking a little bare at the moment.

thanks

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

Update

thanks

You need much deeper substrate and the table needs to be taken off the windowsill to avoid dangerously high temps. Soil temperature changes according to depth, he won't be able to thermoregulate unless he can choose the depth. Watering it will help with thermoregulation too and smooth growth.

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

Yes agree,the window will magnify the heat from the sun wich can be deadly and 1.5 inches is no where near enough,i normally say 4-5inches or more if you can give them that,as in the pics the soil looks like a dust bath as moisture at the depth will evaporate in an instant
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users