• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

I started this tree mallow from seed, and now two years later it stands eight feet tall!

Lots of flowers have bloomed, and to my delight, they attract more bees than I've ever seen.

tree_mallow_zpsm354qgsp.jpg

Beautiful, bee-friendly, and Harry loves them; these plants tick all the boxes!

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Omg Graham,

That's brilliant and a great size :)  you must be very pleased growing that from a seed, I bet Harry will enjoy it. :)

#3 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

Beautiful plant! I picked some mallow today, got quite a woody stem - do you think I could root it somehow?

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

It's always worth a try, and this is the perfect time of year to get cuttings going. Give it a soak for ten minutes, then plant it a pot filled with normal garden earth, then water in. Keep in indoors, preferably on a window sill for the next couple of weeks for the roots to establish. If you're happy with it at that point, plant it out in garden, or if you prefer, keep it in the pot till May next year when it will ready to go out.

#5 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Will do, thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users