• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Went on a weed expedition today and I cannot firmly identify the weeds below although I think I know what they are I would appreciate your expert eyes!

image.jpg2_zps6e6uwlrw.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsijjw9tqb.jpg

Thanks in anticipation

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

For what it's worth, here's my opinion:
Top picture, left to right, top to bottom:
1. Not sure, first thought was Eyebright.
2. Common Nettle
3. Common Thistle
4. Little unsure, but looks like Melilot
Big Picture: Tufted Vetch

I'm no expert, and am probably wrong, others on this forum will be more knowledgable.

#3 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thanks Graham, are the tort safe do you know?

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sorry, should have said in my post. The deadnettle and thistle are fine, the vetch is borderline, so I would avoid it, personally.

If I've identified the melilot correctly, then no, don't feed it. As for the possible eyebright, I cannot find any info on it's suitability, so don't feed, at least until it's been positively identified.

A really good site for checking plants' edibility is the Tortoise Table, have a look at this link:

http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=310

#5 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have trawled the Tortoise Table most of the afternoon and I'm still just not sure lol! I'll stick with what I know is safe until I can properly identify these

#6 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Forgot to mention, the nettle-esqe one looks like Hedge Woundwort rather than Deadnettle using the website pictures

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Yes, you could well be right there; they're very similar and come from the same family; most importantly, they're tort safe!  :)

#8 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Brilliant news! I found a spot out in the sticks that has a plentiful supply - made my day that lol

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Sorry, should have said in my post. The deadnettle and thistle are fine, the vetch is borderline, so I would avoid it, personally.
If I've identified the melilot correctly, then no, don't feed it. As for the possible eyebright, I cannot find any info on it's suitability, so don't feed, at least until it's been positively identified.
A really good site for checking plants' edibility is the Tortoise Table, have a look at this link:

http://www.thetortoi...=main&catID=310

Vetch was on our lists of plants guzzled in large quantities by torts in Turkey Graham. I've therefore always fed it with no problem. The pods are high in protein though, same as pea pods, so would avoid those personally. Just my take of course ;)

#10 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

So the plant in the pic is vetch? I chucked it unfortunately but I can get more. When you say pods, do you mean seed pods or the flowers? Just checking so I feed it correctly

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

The seed pods are high in protein, so best not fed. I found lots of this for my gang today, they really do love it and it's seasonal, so it's not going to last for ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users