• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaela

Kaela

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hiya, I'm having problems keeping my table at 32 this week with the hot weather. The temp has been going above 32 so I've been switching the light off to cool it down. Unfortunately my bulb is a combined one and I live in a flat so I can't leave him outside. Am I okay to put the light on in the morning and switch it off for a couple of hours to cool down the table? Would a lower watt bulb help also, the current one is 160w and as high as it can go on its stand. I'm giving him plenty of baths to keep him hydrated and he's still eating well, going to the toilet as normal etc

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

What temperatures are you talking, high temperatures can be dangerous especially to a small tort, what substrate are you using and do you water it as this will help, you may need a lower watt bulb as its not a good idea to keep turning the lights on and off as this will just confuse him, this is one reason they do a lot better outside through the warmer months. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

Unless you live in a greenhouse your temps are unlikely to exceed 32. Obviously with warmer ambient temps you will need to raise any basking lamps, but ideally your tort should be outdoors in this weather, where it will thrive. If there is no way you will be moving from the flat any time soon, it might be time to think about torties future welfare :( 160 watt bulbs are for large enclosures in sheds etc, you will never need any higher than 60-100 indoors. I agree with Karen that temps such as this can be dangerous as he will become dehydrated unless he has deep substrate well away from the lamp to dig down into. How big is your tortoise and its enclosure, so we can help with a solution?

#4 Kaela

Kaela

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

I know higher than 32 can be dangerous which is why I was asking. I was watching it closely and switched off the lamp as it reached 35. He has coco coir substrate which is deep enough for him to bury himself completely in, and I 'dampen'it each day. His cool end is still 20, it's under the lamp that is the hot part. We only got him in Jan and it's the bulb we were given along with him. It was okay in the winter but I'll buy a lower wattage one. He's been having regular baths as usual (twice a day). We have a small balcony which I try to take him out in and sit with him but it has no cover so he can't be left. At the moment we have a pigeon nesting there too which is a pain. I'm getting him an outdoor enclosure in the form of a guinea pig cage for August as we are staying with relatives who have a large garden so I wanted to take advantage. We're planning on moving next year to a house with a garden so that he can have proper access.

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:39 PM

[quote name="Kaela" post="64334" timestamp="1435594880"]I know higher than 32 can be dangerous which is why I was asking. I was watching it closely and switched off the lamp as it reached 35. He has coco coir substrate which is deep enough for him to bury himself completely in, and I 'dampen'it each day. His cool end is still 20, it's under the lamp that is the hot part. We only got him in Jan and it's the bulb we were given along with him. It was okay in the winter but I'll buy a lower wattage one. He's been having regular baths as usual (twice a day). We have a small balcony which I try to take him out in and sit with him but it has no cover so he can't be left. At the moment we have a pigeon nesting there too which is a pain. I'm getting him an outdoor enclosure in the form of a guinea pig cage for August as we are staying with relatives who have a large garden so I wanted to take advantage. We're planning on moving next year to a house with a garden so that he can have proper access.[/quote

Daily baths should not be necessary if substrate is damp. If he gets too warm he will burrow down as in nature. Nobody baths them in the wild and we need to try to mimic this as closely as possible in captivity. Obviously it's best to have water available, but this is just in case we get the substrate wrong ;) pigeons are no threat, I have wood pigeons nesting on my pergola directly above the torts too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users