5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel93

Daniel93

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Hello,
My names Daniel, and I've finally decided to get myself a tortoise!

I'm going to be waiting a few months before actually buying one. Few reasons being il have to look around for a breeder reasonably close to me (I'm up in Aberdeen) and I still need to clue myself up on them a bit more first.

Which leads me to a couple of questions, any replies would be rather helpful!

First, night times...I've noted that my flat rarely drops below 12 degrees at night and I suspect even in winter this will be the same giving the fact I'm in a block of flats in the middle floor, and obviously central heating will be on too. Now is this an okay night time temperature to have a Hermann in? Or should I think of investing in a ceramic bulb to keep on at night. My suspicions is that a bulb may confuse the little guy but thought I'd ask.

Second question is, for their hiding places/sleeping places. I know too much humidity can cause breathing problems but should I try and create a small bit more in these spots to perhaps keep them more comfortable? My guesses are this is more for the tropical tortoises but just double checking.

Everything else I feel I've got enough info in my head to give the wee fella a happy life!

Again any response would be perfect!

Thanks!

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. :)

There's a really good breeder who lives in Aberdeen called Andy Robertson who breeds Hermann's, the only thing I would say is that most breeders wont sell their hatchlings if they wouldn't have an outside enclosure, tortoises really do need to be outside through the warmer months. :)

Tortoises need a drop in temperature at night and don't need any extra heat even through winter, which most of the time their in hibernation any way, and they do need some humidity especially at night times it's best for them to dig down in moist soil as this will help with smooth growth.

Any more questions you have just ask there's always some one around happy to help. :)

#3 tracy

tracy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Hi, im tracy. Ive wanted a tortoise for many years and have eventually ordered two baby hermanns, got to wait a few weeks as they were born in june. Can someone recommend best food. Ive done ok with table as I brought the tortoises from a captive established breeder and he has been great with helping me.

I have read many different sites and read too many different suggestions, one say yes to this then someone says no.  I ordered a grow quick for weeks etc.

42 yrs old and I am well excited 

#4 Daniel93

Daniel93

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum. :)
There's a really good breeder who lives in Aberdeen called Andy Robertson who breeds Hermann's, the only thing I would say is that most breeders wont sell their hatchlings if they wouldn't have an outside enclosure, tortoises really do need to be outside through the warmer months. :)
Tortoises need a drop in temperature at night and don't need any extra heat even through winter, which most of the time their in hibernation any way, and they do need some humidity especially at night times it's best for them to dig down in moist soil as this will help with smooth growth.
Any more questions you have just ask there's always some one around happy to help. :)

Thanks for the reply! Genuinely had no idea there was a breeder in Aberdeen, shows how terrible I am at searching the net haha.
And yeah my worry is this to do with the outdoor enclosures....the flat I'm in is only for a couple of years til I save the last amount to get a house with a garden etc.
thanks again for the answers!

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the reply! Genuinely had no idea there was a breeder in Aberdeen, shows how terrible I am at searching the net haha.
And yeah my worry is this to do with the outdoor enclosures....the flat I'm in is only for a couple of years til I save the last amount to get a house with a garden etc.
thanks again for the answers!

Hi Daniel,

If you would like Andy's email address then send me a message, then he can give you all the info, but were still happy to help with any questions. :)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi, im tracy. Ive wanted a tortoise for many years and have eventually ordered two baby hermanns, got to wait a few weeks as they were born in june. Can someone recommend best food. Ive done ok with table as I brought the tortoises from a captive established breeder and he has been great with helping me.

I have read many different sites and read too many different suggestions, one say yes to this then someone says no.  I ordered a grow quick for weeks etc.

42 yrs old and I am well excited 

Hi Tracy, welcome to the forum. :)

How long is it you have to wait for them, they will be very young if they only hatched in June. :)

For their diet they need a natural diet only of weeds and plants, no fruit or veg, I think you will find these helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm     http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp, if your unsure of any thing just ask  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users