16 replies to this topic

#1 Lucyandjoe

Lucyandjoe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Hello all,

We are hoping to get our first tortoise in a few weeks but want to make sure the enclosure is all set up right.
I have created an enclosure that will be able to moved inside or outside. I have read that it is best to keep tortoises outside as this provides them with much a more natural experience. I have created little environments such as green house style area, cooler area, water stones to create different temperature zones. Will I need the light and heat bulbs outside? I imagined at this time of year the temperatures are high enough to remain outside a lot more?

Could some one help me as to when I light and heat bulb and when outside inside is suitable.

Thank you

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:40 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

If you've made a tortoise table that your just going to take outside and bring back in then you wont need any heat on this through the day, as long as the suns out he/ she will be fine, it is a good idea though to have a heated area when you make a more permanent outside enclosure.

hope that helps. :)

#3 Lucyandjoe

Lucyandjoe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Karen,
I have read that tortoises are ok to be in an outside enclosure when the temperature is anything more than 14 degrees is that right? And is that assuming you don't have a lamp?

Thanks x

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi,
Tortoises are cold blooded so in effect dont feel the cold like we do,they rely upon the sun to heat them up,their shells act like a solar panal in effect so even on a cold day to us its warm enough for them aslong as theres sunshine so really abient tempts dont really come into it,14c is more than plenty!if you have a long spell of dull days or wet weather then a heat lamp will benefit them to get up to tempts to get going.at lot of info on the internet is over the top,a mommy coddled tort will be a pain if gets used to silly warm tempts constanly
Regards matt

#5 Lucyandjoe

Lucyandjoe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Matt that was really helpful and makes a lot of sense!

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

Hi,
Tortoises are cold blooded so in effect dont feel the cold like we do,they rely upon the sun to heat them up,their shells act like a solar panal in effect so even on a cold day to us its warm enough for them aslong as theres sunshine so really abient tempts dont really come into it,14c is more than plenty!if you have a long spell of dull days or wet weather then a heat lamp will benefit them to get up to tempts to get going.at lot of info on the internet is over the top,a mommy coddled tort will be a pain if gets used to silly warm tempts constanly
Regards matt

I have a pic somewhere of a tort in the snow. She was overwintering as she was a rehomer with a few problems. Anyway she spied her chance and popped out for a few mins, she remained quite warm as the sun was out. I still keep seeing people on some forums saying that you can take them out if it's warm enough for a t-shirt, or if it is a certain temp. Thing is they can never explain why, or where the particular temp came from when asked ;)

#7 Loopy-lou8

Loopy-lou8

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but really pleased I found it!

My tortoise is now in an outside enclosure and is really enjoying it, however the sudden temperature drop (10 degrees) in my area the last couple of days has really concerned me, so I bought him back inside.  My question is, is there any way of heating his enclosure without an electric hook up, as it will be a nightmare with where he is in the garden.  He has his little hutch to go into and a cold type frame at one end, but I wondered if someone might know of something solar powered etc, I have trawled the internet but found nothing so I am guessing the answer is no, but hoping one of you clever people might have an idea!

Many Thanks

Loopy-lou

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

Outdoor enclosures really need to be constructed where electrics can be accessed. If you find any info re solar heating I would love to hear it.

#9 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

Maplin do a solar panel kit but I haven't looked into it properly as I do have electric. I have a feeling it is generally used to power Led lights for camping etc which would not produce heat but have a look into it as I am sure there probably are ways but you may need pretty large panels etc:(

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yes, that would be the difficult thing, size and weight. It would be a good way to heat them though if possible.

#11 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Having had another quick look i am still not sure of the technical side of things but guessing that if people use them to heat the water etc in houses it is possible however cost looks very high (even higher than paying an electrician to put electric outside which believe me can be pretty costlty!!)

#12 Loopy-lou8

Loopy-lou8

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your input, unfortunately it's the only spot in the garden that gets sun all day long, so I didn't have a choice of where to put him.  I'll check out Maplins, or I'll just have to get an electrician in to see what they say, either way it will need to be done, just thought there may be an easier option :-)

Many thanks again.

Lisa

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Having had another quick look i am still not sure of the technical side of things but guessing that if people use them to heat the water etc in houses it is possible however cost looks very high (even higher than paying an electrician to put electric outside which believe me can be pretty costlty!!)

Putting electrics outside doesn't have to be costly. Just don't let electricians tell you it is. If they think they can con you, many will. Luckily my son did mine and all it cost was the plug, wire and some armoured cable covering to run it underground.

#14 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for your input, unfortunately it's the only spot in the garden that gets sun all day long, so I didn't have a choice of where to put him.  I'll check out Maplins, or I'll just have to get an electrician in to see what they say, either way it will need to be done, just thought there may be an easier option :-)

Many thanks again.

Lisa

How far from the house is it? As a temporary measure you could use a waterproof extension lead during the day, no heat is needed at night.

#15 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

Unfortunately it was just my luck that mine wasn't straight forward and had to be taken from the fuse box etc. realistically it wasn't too expensive and it generally is a case of if the animals need it they have it (even if I have to live on beans on toast for a while!!)

#16 Loopy-lou8

Loopy-lou8

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi again guys,

I don't like messing about with electrics, I think it's just best I get someone in and they can get it done.   I don't mind the cost even if it is pricey, as you say if it means cutting back on things so he's happy I'm happy too!  :)

Regards

Lisa

#17 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Lol, I've just had to take a couple of weeks of work and it's amazing what you can live on out of the cupboard. I actually quite enjoyed the challenge lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users