• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peteazzo

peteazzo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

So we're set on getting an adult hermann (re-homed), but really wanted to keep it outside permanently other than at hibernation time when we would keep it in a fridge. I've built a 6ft square enclosure in the garden which will have a caged roof to keep the foxes, birds and squirrels out  and will be filling it with top-soil and adding plenty of herbs, rocks etc. The area semi-gets the sun (it's a North facing house and it's the sunniest place I could find) So this is where I am starting to struggle. I'm thinking of getting something like a dog kennel for the permanent residence but do not understand the  heat and light requirements.

Would I be able to keep a lowish wattage tubular heater kept on permanently and a combined heat/UV lamp which came on for a number of hours a day?

I am confused because reading the requirements from the TPG (Tortoise Protection Group) They are suggesting that an indoor enclosure is also necessary. So is it even possible to keep them outside permanently?

Many thanks for your advice

Peter

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. :)

You can keep tortoises outside 24/7 with out having indoor space, my tortoises have a heated shed with their enclosure so there outside all the time, some people have greenhouses for there's, I think the kennel idea would work through the warmer months but as it gets colder it's not going to give your tortoise much room if they couldn't get outside before and after hibernation, you may need to think of some thing on a bit bigger scale, the tube heater will work but will be better on a thermostat so it only comes on when the temps drop too low. :)

#3 peteazzo

peteazzo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your time and advice. We've been planning this for some time and have become confused over the accommodation, light and heat requirements. I can see you can get tube heaters on a thermostat, so I'll probably go for one of those. So it sounds like It can go outside permanently (which is great), but would require a bigger space. Presumable as it would not venture outside much when it gets colder. Regarding heat and light - if they lived outside, would they need additional light? And assuming I had a heat lamp, how long would that need to be on? I'm planning to have the tube lamp on permanently to keep the ambient temperature reasonable,  but appreciate they might need an additional basking area. Regarding the sheltered accommodation - would a larger cold frame be suitable instead of a dog kennel? and if so, does it need a 'dark' area or is a complete glass accommodation OK? Sorry for all of the questions, but we can't seem to find something suitable for the space we have.

Kind Regards

Peter

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

So we're set on getting an adult hermann (re-homed), but really wanted to keep it outside permanently other than at hibernation time when we would keep it in a fridge. I've built a 6ft square enclosure in the garden which will have a caged roof to keep the foxes, birds and squirrels out  and will be filling it with top-soil and adding plenty of herbs, rocks etc. The area semi-gets the sun (it's a North facing house and it's the sunniest place I could find) So this is where I am starting to struggle. I'm thinking of getting something like a dog kennel for the permanent residence but do not understand the  heat and light requirements.
Would I be able to keep a lowish wattage tubular heater kept on permanently and a combined heat/UV lamp which came on for a number of hours a day?
I am confused because reading the requirements from the TPG (Tortoise Protection Group) They are suggesting that an indoor enclosure is also necessary. So is it even possible to keep them outside permanently?

Many thanks for your advice

Peter

Hi and welcome to the forum. Not sure if you actually mean six square feet or six foot by six foot. Either way this not going to be enough for an adult hermanns, it will walk the perimeter continually trying to escape. It will also need access to the sun all day really otherwise it will not thrive. My own torts have the whole of my south facing garden and even then, have favourite places at certain times of the day.
As mentioned you will need back up heat for bad weather and if the sun is missing this will have to be basking heat as background heat won't warm their core temps. I do rehoming but to be honest would struggle with what you are offering. Is there no way you can offer more room?

#5 peteazzo

peteazzo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hi Sue, 

Thanks for the response. I actually meant 6ft x 6ft = 36 square feet. They would have access to the rest of the garden, but only supervised as we tend to get a lot of foxes, cats, squirrels and large birds as our garden backs onto a woods (also a reason behind the lack of sun) I hear what you are saying about the space and I am reviewing the area etc, but it would be difficult to provide more space. If I do sort something out, then it would have two 'covered' areas - one with an ambient heat source and another basking area.I think I understand the requirements now, but I am sure am going to have more questions as the project evolves.

Kind Regards

Peter

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

Even double that area would not be enough for an adult, they really don't like being penned and are quite territorial. Moving them around to suit us doesn't work as they need to be able to choose for themselves when to go in and out. At the end of the day it will be your choice, but hopefully it won't all go wrong.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi Peter,

I agree with Sue with regards to the size, I have a couple of hatchlings that have that area, 6ft x 5ft and that's just the outside area they also have an indoor area with the same space, maybe a rethink might be needed on space but so the tortoise is still safe from predators :)

#8 peteazzo

peteazzo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

Hi, I hear what you are saying! I guess, I've seen so many small enclosures and presumed that it was OK for an enclosure this size. I'm going to rethink how I can do this. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Peter

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

Lots of people use too small enclosures Peter, they just don't tell you about the constant escape attempts, frantic pacing or even refusing to feed at times. You sound as though you want what's best for a tortoise so I'm sure you will find a way ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users