4 replies to this topic

#1 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi all,

My fiance and I have been working hard on getting a new tortoise table ready for our two, large hermann torts! They quickly outgrew their old one, and after speaking to the forum members, it was agreed that it had become too small. So, our new one takes up the majority of our dining room!

Our tortoises currently measure 20cm , from top to tip of their shells. Their new home measures 165cm by 125cm, and is complete with a mini upstairs. Our one tortoise, Mildred, who is definitely the most active of the two, has made good use of this already, climbing up and down the ramp!

We also chose some specially selected enclosure plants, which we know are suitable for eating, as well as providing good hiding spots.

Just about to pick up two, much larger heat lamps, and the job will be done!

Any thoughts, or any more suggestions for our indoor enclosure?

Gill

Attached File  IMG_8886.JPG   35.13KB   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8889.JPG   41.4KB   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8891.JPG   39.9KB   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8895.JPG   39.67KB   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8896.JPG   36.59KB   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8900.JPG   58.84KB   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8905.JPG   54.08KB   6 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8907.JPG   39.58KB   8 downloads

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

Hi Gill,

It looks good, the strip light would be a lot better with a reflector over it, is there a reason their not outside at this time of year, they would benefit more from a permanent outside enclosure for through the warmer months. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:55 PM

Hi all,

My fiance and I have been working hard on getting a new tortoise table ready for our two, large hermann torts! They quickly outgrew their old one, and after speaking to the forum members, it was agreed that it had become too small. So, our new one takes up the majority of our dining room!
Our tortoises currently measure 20cm , from top to tip of their shells. Their new home measures 165cm by 125cm, and is complete with a mini upstairs. Our one tortoise, Mildred, who is definitely the most active of the two, has made good use of this already, climbing up and down the ramp!

We also chose some specially selected enclosure plants, which we know are suitable for eating, as well as providing good hiding spots.

Just about to pick up two, much larger heat lamps, and the job will be done!
Any thoughts, or any more suggestions for our indoor enclosure?

Gill

attachicon.gifIMG_8886.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8889.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8891.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8895.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8896.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8900.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8905.JPG
attachicon.gifIMG_8907.JPG

Shoot me if you like, but I always feel pretty sad at the thought of adult tortoises being indoors. I hate to think how mine would behave if confined. This week they have dug holes, climbed shrubs, soaked in their shallow pond and generally been hoodlums in the garden, just as they should be doing :)

#4 gill2307

gill2307

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

We're in the process of sorting out garden, as we haven't been in our home long. As soon as it's ready, we want to move them outside. 

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

We're in the process of sorting out garden, as we haven't been in our home long. As soon as it's ready, we want to move them outside.

Your tortoises will love this I'm sure. If you have a small garden, do look at tortoise proofing the entire area as they love to roam and you will be amazed at how they utilise the space to suit their needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users