• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hiya, I'm currently making a semi permanent (will be permanent when outdoor electricity is sorted) outdoor enclosure and wondering whether Vera needs a top on the enclosure, she's fully grown so will she need a top to keep away predators. We don't get any foxes but we do get rats. The gardens pretty much all patio and decking so my plan is to lay some tarpaulin as a base with drainage and fill it with top soil, garden soil etc. is this an okay idea. It's roughly 8ft x 8ft 😊

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hi
To be honest if shes fully grown there isnt much that will harm her unless you have have dogs,rats are everywhere and some of mine sleep out in their enclosure at night instead of going it their hut and never had any probs,i think rats are more of a concern over the winter when theres less food around but i could be wrong!the enclosure should be fine but make sure theres good drainage as you dont want it becoming a mud bath lol.
Regards matt

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

8x8 isn't enough for an adult to be happy really, you might find it will just pace the perimeter. My own torts use an area of around 30ft x 70ft and would use more if they could. Tortoises are territorial creatures and don't like being confined. If you only have a small garden then you would do best tortoise proofing the whole area, which obviously cannot be covered. I'm gathering it has a hide area fir night that can be locked against predators, which is all an adult needs ;)

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

I know what you mean Sue as when i have to scale down their enclosure when do improvements or changing things they go bonkers lol

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the advice in that case can she just have free reign over the garden (top largest section as its two tiered). Would that mean I need top soil all over or could an area be covered in topsoil like a self contained patch that she could stroll into and out of. In terms of shelter she currently has a lockable rabbit/tortoise shelter off amazon with hopes of getting something larger when I can get a heat source outdoors thank you

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the advice in that case can she just have free reign over the garden (top largest section as its two tiered). Would that mean I need top soil all over or could an area be covered in topsoil like a self contained patch that she could stroll into and out of. In terms of shelter she currently has a lockable rabbit/tortoise shelter off amazon with hopes of getting something larger when I can get a heat source outdoors thank you

No, you don't need topsoil all over. My torts have the choice of a slate area, lawn with clover and other weeds etc, bark area and various soil areas to mooch around in. You do have to make sure the perimeters are completely escape proof though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users