- - - - -

wood chippings

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

are the wood chippings some of u use in half ur enclosures a special type frm a reptile shop or just garden chippings, cos we hav a big bag in our garage from B&Q n i want to start getting rid of tht sweetcorn substrate im using, would this be ok.
as well where do u buy ur play sand cos this isnt just nrml yellow building sand is it??
ive decided to get myself round to changing their substrate over my xmas hols when im off college to a 50/50 top soil play sand mix n put a corner of wood chippings to feed them on to stop getting sand in thier mouths :7

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

Hi Dan i use either repti bark or beech chips , play sand can be bought together with top soil at any garden centre or DIY store , the bark you have already is fine also but make sure its not to wet before you use it also don't use any bark chips that are made from pine trees the resin in it is toxic

#3 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

thanks, ive found some beech chips and calcium sand in a exotic pet shop. but i cant find topsoil any where which stores do u buy urs frm ive looked on B&Qs sites tried homebase strikes garden centres, n i cant find it anywhere. plz help me :)

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

I get mine from BQ but you might not need it if your useing calci-sand this is made safe to use on its own

#5 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

Look in yell.com type in horse supplys and ask them if they have Aubiose (Hemp) this is the best for tortoises, a huge bag cost me 6.80
Arnie

#6 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

well its defo calcium sand as im buying it frm an exotic pet shop so if this is fine on its own then thts ok. is it safe frm over accidental indigestion on its own then without the top soil mixed in? although i will feed them on the beech chips. thanks

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

Yes Dan its quite safe to use and your right feed on the bark chips also keep your water source in the bark chip area this will prevent it spoiling with the sand , as arnib has just mentioned another good alround safe substrate is the shredded hemp bedding designed for horses so if you need a change of substrates in the future why not try this i am going to give it ago see what its like

#8 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:39 AM

Calci sand is not recomended for use with tortoises, as it can irritate their eyes. Just so you are aware.
Playpit sand can also be bought in early learning centres if you are in the UK.

#9 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

Calci sand is not recomended for torts it causes impactation and some wood chipping cause alergy's to tortoises
But it's up to you, it's your tortoise, I've pointed you in the direction of a completely safe and cheap alternative
Arnie

#10 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

My bag of Hemp costing 6.80 I have put a crutch at the side of it so you can see how much you get for your money
Arnie

#11 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

maybe this is gunna b a safer bet then, ill mayb try and ring around for sum hemp it seems likt it will b alot cheaper and gud value for money

#12 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

ordered a bag of hemp to collect this afternoon so well change their substrate today. is this all u use in the enclosure or do u hav it sectioned off with other things in for digging?

#13 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

Ok Dan another change of plan! i feel abit bad that i may of missled you on the substrate choice but i have always used sand and top soil mix for my med tortoise indoor enclosures even before people thought this was considered a safe option and kept there animals on newspaper, well all i can say is that i have never had a problem in 20yrs of tortoise husbandry using this method sorry if you have wasted money on all these substrates but just going from what i have had success with good luck

#14 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

Darrens right, it's down to personal choice and what works best for you and your torts. Some will torlerate sand/top soil mix and others won't. :)

#15 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:26 PM

i wouldnt hold it against any1 its all down to wot u feel best with, i hav to make my own choices n wouldnt blame any1. i got hemcore in the end cos it seemed to b the cheapest option n the exotic shp to buy the other substrates is quite a drive away. thanks for ur advice its nice to hear frm all aspects of things b4 makin a choice n not feelin ur pushed into one product

#16 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

We know honey, don't worry I'm sure we have all made expensive mistakes when buying things for tortoises. We buy a light that costs the earth and then see a better one, been there got the T Shirt as they say. But it's a learning curve and the more we learn the less expensive our mistakes become huh. As long as your Torts are happy, thats the main thing, hope they're both well.:)

#17 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

yea ur right, my torts r reely comin on well n settling into their new lifestyle well even my mam holds them n its the first pet ive had tht she will hold lol shes a bit sqiumish normally, but they hav such great personalitys they love to be out strollin around :-)

#18 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

Tortoises really do have lovely little personalities and you just don't see it when they're shut away all the time. Ours love humans and are always in to something. It's great your mom loves them too. Hows the house training going, not too many poops on the carpet I hope lol:)

#19 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

no poops its always just wees lol the worst one cos it dribbles all over :-( . im sure theyll get better with time tho is there any way u can house train a tort?

#20 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

My sister looks into their enclosure and says, now come on fellas do the business and you can come out, they just know that if they do it they get let out. It does work but you have to be patient, ours are so use to being fed at a set time and let out at a set time, you can normally tell when the poops are gonna come out so if they can get use to a routine then they will know to do it and then get let out, if theres a reward at the end of the poop then they get use to doing it, the younger they are the easier it is, lol:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users