- - - - -

wood chippings

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-12-05 AT 05:58 PM (GMT)]yea ill hav to start its hard to bring them downstairs cos we hav a 14 month beagle who gets v curious of them n i panic n pick them up lol so they are mostly in my room but they still get loads of fuss and attention there. sounds like those torts are well trained poopin on command ill hav to try tht but ill probs just blank little stares bak frm them lol :-) the daftys

#22 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

Don't you believe it Dan, those blank little stares are taking in everything and they will learn, maybe not to poop on command but anythings possible lol. My sister spends hours with hers so it's no wonder they do as they're told, besides the fact shes quite bossy, oops lol. We have dogs also, yorkies and they did get a bit jealous at first but now they don't care, except when the big tortoises push them out of the way, the smaller ones will go round the dogs but the bigger ones will go where they want and nothing stops them, not even a yorkie. lol:)

#23 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

Hello Chris
I was doing the same thing reccomending soil and sand, but more and more I am finding that torts are getting runny noses, when the only reason I can see, is the soil and sand is irritating their nares, it tends to get so dry, coincidently more so at this time of year when they tend to bury down, Ibera's are prone to runny nose but Hermann don't seem to get it so much, but they do in sand and soil, put them on this and they are fine, I just keep moving with the times, I can't tell you how things have changed even in the last 10 years.
Arnie

#24 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

I was just about to order some Aubiose, and wonder if Hemcore and Aubiose just different brand names for hemp, or are there differences between the two?

#25 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

Hello Nina
I asked for Aubiose, pronounced au-be-hose, and they got me this which is the English version and much cleaner than the French one.
Arnie

#26 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:30 PM

Totally understand arnie things change i'm going to have a go with hemp to be honest i never heard of any one useing it till i joined this any off my torts kept the way i keep them but i never let the sand soil mix become dry i always keep it slightly damp i no people say you shouldn't keep meds on damp substrate but again humidity is a big part in stopping pyramiding , i'm careful on how damp my substrate is and my animal rooms stay a even 70 through the night so torts don't lie on a cold damp surface , alot of my torts nest indoors so a soil sand mix is neccessary for them to dig there nest chambers

#27 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:12 AM

Hi Arnie,

I looked up the Hemcore website and it says that it all their hemcore now has citronella in it. I phoned them and spoke to someone and she says citronella is an oil and keeps it smelling nice and keeps the flies away in the summer, and is a natural product. Is citronella harmful/irritating to tortoises (I know that you can get citronella coils to burn to repel mosquitos in tropical countries)?

Nina

#28 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

Nina I will check that out for you, but I know people that have been using it for quite a while and had no problems at all.
Arnie

#29 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, Arnie. I'd just feel more comfortable knowing the implications (or lack of) of having citronella in the substrate.

#30 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:09 PM

We have a dog thats allergic to Citronella, they put it in collars to help prevent barking, nasty stuff, wouldn't put our animals near it, personal choice.:)

#31 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

i know some ppl tht hav a citrinella collar to stp their beagle barking it works cos the dogs hate the smell, dunno whether torts r the same

#32 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:08 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-12-05 AT 06:10 PM (GMT)]Hi
Have spoken to someone who uses Hemcore and they have had no problems I have also had an e-mail from Hemcore who assure me that they have had no problems.
And a mail from a person who is quite up on things like this and he assured me that once the bag is opened the oil would evaporate quickly

quote ((after being opened the smell soon disappears, which figures if it is a volatile oil (that means it evaporates away quickly)))

But to be on the safe side I would advise that you ask for Aubiose the French version, which is said to be free of any oils, it has been put in to keep flys away from the horses, Hemcore even offered to produce some without Citronela but I would have had to order a pallet of it :-(

This is the mail I received from Hemcore
Thank you for your enquiry.
We only put on a minute amount of Citronella oil on Hemcore Bedding. Also we have been adding this for quite some time now and we have not had any adverse reports on any animals.
We can produce Hemcore without Citronella but you would have to order a minimum of 1 pallet which is 30 bales, let me know if this is of interest to you.
I hope you will stick with the British, home produced Hemp, Hemcore bedding,
Best regards
John

John Hobson
Hemcore Ltd
Latchmore Bank
Little Hallingbury
Bishops Stortford
Herts CM22 7PJ
Tel 0044 ( 0 ) 1279 504466
Fax 0044 ( 0 ) 1279 755395
www.hemcore.co.uk

But what you can get from Horse supplies is Calcium in the form of Lime Stone flour, a 3kg tub is about 5.00, the one I got was bought online but if you buy it from a local supplyer you save on P&P
photo attached with a battery charger for size :-)
If you take out the amount you need from the tub and keep it shut the shelf life is fine, but ideal if you have many torts
Arnie

#33 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

Many thanks Arnie! I guess I'll stick to Aubiose, just in case. I do have a supply of limestone flour -- I bought a 1 lb bag in June, and with just one little RT, it looks like it's going to last me for ages (I mix it in 7 parts flour to 3 parts Nutrobal) and sprinkle it liberally on all Boris's greens every day.

#34 Guest_johnnytortoise_*

Guest_johnnytortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:51 AM

Does anyone know if you can order hemp direct from aubiose, and if so how much the postage is? Or even better if it can be bought from a supplier in northumberland? thanks,

johnny

#35 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

if u look in the yellow pages under horse supplies and give them a ring they normally have it in stock

#36 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

You can order direct here the site but you may have to order in bulk
http://www.aubiose.co.uk/

#37 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-01-06 AT 10:55 AM (GMT)]Thanks for that Chris
I'm going to see if my supplier can get it first, but nice to know I can get it online if that fails.
Apparently it's a recent thing, it's a good job Nina spotted it, Luckily I know someone with a horse, who come to see me some times, so will store what I have till they get here :-)
I have been reassured by a few people but it's just not worth the risk.
Arnie

#38 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

I got and am using Hemcore as the supplier basicly said it was the same as Auboise. It does smell a little but this has now gone. I am using a 6 inch deep substrate for my Redfoots which is well watered. So far I have had or seen no issues.

Regards.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users