• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

The winter coming up will be Vera's second with me and I plan to hibernate her for her first time. She's fully grown and around 4/5 years old (bad diet from previous owner). Planning early but thought it's better to. I don't have a fridge to put her in so going to go with the method in which I use a wooden box, insulated with a box inside containing more insulation and tortoise. Do the boxes need any form of ventilation like holes and also how long should I hibernate her for, for her first time. Thanks everyone 😉

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

The winter coming up will be Vera's second with me and I plan to hibernate her for her first time. She's fully grown and around 4/5 years old (bad diet from previous owner). Planning early but thought it's better to. I don't have a fridge to put her in so going to go with the method in which I use a wooden box, insulated with a box inside containing more insulation and tortoise. Do the boxes need any form of ventilation like holes and also how long should I hibernate her for, for her first time. Thanks everyone

Do you have a suitable place keeping a steady 3-8 degrees for the box? You don't need two boxes.

#3 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:29 AM

We have a garage (unused) with a heater that is only powerful enough to keep the room from freezing, staying between 5-7 degrees. Will this work okay. Does the box need to be made of wood or can I simply use a cardboard box? Thank you ☺️

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

So long as it doesn't have windows or a very thin roof which might allow temps to rise too much. If the temps rise they wake up, so need to be got up then for the rest of the winter. I would use a wooden box preferably to stop them digging out. It's natural for torts to try to dig lower, so they could burst out of a cardboard box, plus soil etc can make cardboard soggy

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Thanks so much wizzasmum :) last question (sorry about this) am I just using top soil as insulation. Also at the end of wind down do I put her in whilst awake or asleep?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users