5 replies to this topic

#1 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I have had Wimbles faecal results back, negative for everything (yay!!) apart from 'very scanty nematodes', I plan to take him to the vet but I am sure I read somewhere that torts can't be wormed until they are at least 100g. Wimble is 33g now so I don't want to waste my time on a vet visit when he can't be wormed yet.

Thanks

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

I would never recommend taking any tortoise to a vet unless it is I'll. it's important to remember that all animals carry parasites, even humans. Good diet and correct husbandry keeps them under control mainly. Living on the same soil continually in confined conditions would increase the numbers as would keeping on totally sterile substrate, so it's about finding a happy medium to let nature take its course. I do worm my adults annually, but other than that leave well alone.

#3 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

How often would you say to change substrate?

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:05 PM

Depends on how large the habitat is and size of tortoise. I throw mine out say once a month with half a dozen babies in but leave a bit of the old stuff in to keep up the good bacteria. Outdoors I just top dress the greenhouse and will change more thoroughly while they are in hibernation to give it chance to recolonise the good bacteria for when they are back.

#5 Reajen01

Reajen01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, I think I shall leave him be then, he seems in good health, I'll probably get him tested each year anyway so I can monitor things.

#6 sellwin90

sellwin90

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

My enclosure is indoors still at the moment (working on the outdoor one but unfortunately won't be ready this year).

Only got the one tort in there - every couple of months to change the substrate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users