• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Herman

Herman

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:48 AM

I am planning to get a Hermann tortoise hatchling, and I've been doing a ton of research of them, and what I need to do to make sure they have a good life. I've never had a tortoise before, but I've done enough research to know what they need. The only thing I am having issues with is the heating and lighting for the hatchlings. Some say to keep the temperature around 80f 24 hours a day (not including in the basking area) and then others say really room temperature will be fine. My house drops down to around 22 Celsius, and I also have a fan in my room that I'm expecting to not be able to use when the tortoise is in my room. So my question is, will the regular temperature in my house be okay for the hatchlings at night? Also what will the temperature ranges look like as the tortoise grows?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

Tortoise need a drop in temperature on a night and don't need any extra heat when kept indoors, as they get bigger they need to be kept outside on a permanent basis when some back ground heat is needed at either end of the summer months.

I know you have done a lot of research but this is a really good care sheet that you might find helpful. :)   http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm.

Any questions you have just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users