• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Smile124x

Smile124x

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

A little tortoise was found in the middle of the road and taken to my local vets, she's been there for a couple of weeks and no owner has come forward. I have offered to give her a home which they have agreed too, however I'm not sure what species she is! I have set up a tortoise table for her and my dad is busy constructing an outside enclosure for her, any help would be great!

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

It's a horsfield, need pics of underneath tail end to know the sex. It's been really over fed, so someone is probably missing it. They need very deep soil as are a burrowing species, so the average tortoise table will not be deep enough. That's not a baby either so a table might just make it unhappy as it won't have enough room. They thrive outdoors with access to a shed with heat for bad days, but bear in mind the outdoor enclosure needs to be really secure as they can burrow for many feet deep. Have a look at Karen's horsfield enclosures.
Good luck.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Horsfields are lovely tortoises to keep, but as Sue has said they do thrive a lot better living outside, this is how I keep mine. :)

SAM_2521_zpsngi9vur5.jpg

SAM_2356_zps17ttyomh.jpg

SAM_2354_zps8f7t5eyu.jpg

SAM_2320_zpsif3q8hyw.jpg

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

And this is a smaller set up I have for my hatchlings, it also has a shed area, if you have any questions just ask were happy to help with any you have. :)

SAM_2696_zps2d2znffm.jpg

SAM_2698_zps3tycb5lz.jpg  

#5 Smile124x

Smile124x

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

Wow that's a great set up! I'm very jealous, she's actually very small smaller than my hand, looks pretty big in that picture. I feel quite bad as I know someone is missing her, but she's been posted on all local sites and the picture been shared by numerous local vets and even posted on a lost/found tortoise website! The tortoise table will only be temporary, probably be for a week if that, my dad is busy constructing an outdoor enclosure with a mesh bottom for under the soil and an integrated hide house with heat lamps, it's also split level so plenty of room. I will post a couple more pics of her when I pick her up Wednesday, provided no owner comes forward. She's currently in a 'foster' home to a local reptile keeper who has identified her as female and he thinks she is a hermann but wasn't sure, how do you know she is over fed? Thanks!

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Your local reptile fosterer is mistaken, there is a huge difference between horsfield and hermanni and this is undoubtlessy a horsfield. It's nothing at all like a hermanni. Normal growth lines on all tortoises are fine lighter coloured areas like a fine pencil line width. This one has large bands of different coloured growth, showing that it has been grown very fast. Normally they take 15 plus years to reach adult, but grown fast they will reach this stage much quicker which is not good for them for many reasons. Horsfields in nature only eat for three to four months of the year, the rest is hibernation or aestivation. For this reason they are geared to eat a lot while they can. Obviously if fed continually at this rate they will suffer, due to the bones not being able to lay down enough calcium and the keratin top coat will suffer from stress too. Hope this helps ;)

#7 Smile124x

Smile124x

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:41 PM

Wow there is so much to learn! Thank you for your help and advice though, do you think the shell will eventually return to normal or is it permanently damaged with the over growth? The outside enclosure is 6ft by 3ft, concrete base and very deep top soil/play sand, there is a hinged lid on it and an access tunnel to an inside enclosure within my shed, hopefully she will be quite happy there! I'll post some pictures when it's fully completed :)

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

The shell is not out of shape at all, just too much fast growth, which will turn the same colour as the rest. Your outdoor enclosure is on the small side, but the tortoise will tell you if it needs more room by pacing the edges if it's unhappy. I'd not use sand in the mix though as its a burrowing species and this can irritate eyes, just normal soil is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users