• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

My megaray blew today so ordered another one. Had to resort to a heat lamp and compact uvb. My question is with the uvb, can I use foil as a reflector to stop wasted uvb ? I'll attach a picture. Foil on the wood at the back? Thanks :3

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

It won't really have much effect with such a small uvb bulb. It won't matter anyway for as long as it takes to get a new one. More worrying is the tiled areabelow the heat lamp which prevents basking choices for the tortoise. Slates and tiles should never be put below almost as they can cause serious burns and dehydration. Hope this helps.

#3 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the advice sue I'll change the basking area right away, I've always thought of basking as a reptile relaxing on a rock warming there little toes up . Now I think about it though it makes sense allowing them to choose a microclimate in the substrate. Thanks again

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

Just to add what substrate are you using. :)

#5 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hello I have a mixture of substrates. The majority is a deep layer of coco coir with the section pictured being aubiose horse bedding mainly to keep his water bowl acceptable for more than an hour but also because his previous owner kept him on it so not to stress him too much. Next clean out I hope to use 100% coir with slate/gravel areas. It's like a much softer aspen hemp type thing. Thanks mildredsmam

#6 jamjarbaker

jamjarbaker

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:43 PM

There were friendly emojis in there, unsure where they've gone :D

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the advice sue I'll change the basking area right away, I've always thought of basking as a reptile relaxing on a rock warming there little toes up . Now I think about it though it makes sense allowing them to choose a microclimate in the substrate. Thanks again

You are thinking of snakes and lizards, totally different needs you also need deep soil for them to dig into, so they can thermoregulate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users