• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zara

Zara

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

We put our tortoise out in our walled garden (on June 18th) and he has completely disappeared. It's impossible for him to get out anywhere - the only space is a gap under the wooden gate but I had tested it by previously trying to get him underneath and there was no way the arc of his shell could fit.
We are obviously really upset and baffled where he could get to. There is no way he could have been stolen as the garden isn't overlooked and has very high walls.
We have dug and dug, trying to find him.
We rehomed him from a school last year where he had always been kept in a box so I wonder if he hasnt very much natural behaviour and he does like to bury himself away. We also gave him a shorter hibernation this year as he was quite underweight when we got him and I wonder if he has gone into hibernation mode again but it has been such warm weather lately. Has anyone got any ideas/advice?
Thanks so much.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

How much sun does your garden get? It's most likely he has dug down in a warm spell and if it was in a shady spot he has not felt the warmth to come out. I will say that it's 99% certain that he is under there but you are just not looking in the right place. He won't be in an open spot, but under a plant, bush or edge of lawn area. They also like rough areas with brambles and things. The key is not to look from above, but to get on hands and knees and wearing some strong gloves, feel around for soft areas which he might have freshly dug. Look behind things such as sheds etc as they are quite good at scaling areas between sheds and walls etc. I can't tell you how many times I have secretly blamed my neighbours for pinching mine, they are always there though ;) good luck.

#3 Zara

Zara

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Found him!!!!
Feeling renewed by you, I looked all last night and again this morning - he was in the last bush to search of the garden, deep, deep down underneath the roots. My trowel only just touched him. He's been there for almost 6 weeks and amazingly still the same weight!
Absolutely thrilled to see him. Thanks so much.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi Zara,

That's great news. :)

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

Found him!!!!
Feeling renewed by you, I looked all last night and again this morning - he was in the last bush to search of the garden, deep, deep down underneath the roots. My trowel only just touched him. He's been there for almost 6 weeks and amazingly still the same weight!
Absolutely thrilled to see him. Thanks so much.

Excellent, they can cause great stress in owners lol. It's usually bushes they go for and just keep going until they are stuck. This is how tortoises naturally hibernate and as you can see, lose no weight. Increase your humidity and temperature for him and you should find he responds. Just putting them outdoors with no backup heat etc will cause them to dig in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users