Burying Down

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 crotchetybear

crotchetybear

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, my dogs, animal welfare, conservation and environment, wildlife and travel.

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry I seem to be always asking questions but am just trying to do the best for my youngsters and would welcome some more advice please. (The youngsters are locally bred, hatched in Oct 2013, supposedly female and large for their age - although their growth rate has steadied since I started putting them outside.) 

I know my current arrangements are not ideal. Next year they will have access to a large outdoor enclosure attached to a greenhouse with back-up light, similar to my adult male, but this year I'm having to make the best of a compromise arrangement. So, they have an indoor enclosure in a heated greenhouse with appropriate lighting, and I put them into outdoor enclosures when the weather is good, and I leave them out day and night as long as the weather is OK. They have separate, secure enclosures as one was bullying the other - most likely because they could do with more space. The outdoor enclosures don't have light or heat - and it isn't possible to organise this - but I read in an earlier thread that this was OK provided they were brought back in if the weather was dull for prolonged periods. (I have just brought them inside again - where they have to share - as this is the third day in a row we don't look as if we're going to get any sun.)

One of them has taken to digging well down in the outdoor enclosure - and she does this even in warm sunshine (they do have plants and shade, and both enclosures have a cloche-type arrangement where they can warm up in the sun). I know this is normal behaviour but she doesn't come back up again, even on a hot sunny day. So I have been digging her up the next day when she doesn't emerge by herself.  My question (finally!) is how long should I let her stay buried before digging her out?

As always, any advice gratefully received.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users