• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Hello, i got ny littke Popeye on thursday, named as he/she keeps winking at me, bit i think he was tired from the journey.
Just wondered how much activity should i expect. When he arrived he was all over, trying to climp out when he was in his bath, then climbing onto stuff in his home so i moved things out. Ive had to wake him the past three mornings.
Not sure if I'm doing it right by putting him in bath first thing, or should that be later on. He has eaten, drank and hmmm had about 3 poos!

Any advice welcome. Feeding him weeds ive grown from shelled warriors and picked on a field. In a tortoise table with both lights

#2 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Oh my god, read title as hermann not hernann, how embarrassing.

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Lol, we know what you mean. If we are splitting hairs though it's hermanni :D

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hello, i got ny littke Popeye on thursday, named as he/she keeps winking at me, bit i think he was tired from the journey.
Just wondered how much activity should i expect. When he arrived he was all over, trying to climp out when he was in his bath, then climbing onto stuff in his home so i moved things out. Ive had to wake him the past three mornings.
Not sure if I'm doing it right by putting him in bath first thing, or should that be later on. He has eaten, drank and hmmm had about 3 poos!
Any advice welcome. Feeding him weeds ive grown from shelled warriors and picked on a field. In a tortoise table with both lights

The rapid activity you were seeing on getting your new baby was a reaction to stress of moving. The inactivity you are seeing now is the same thing. Remember that if you bought from a commercial outlet, this little tort will have had several moves and not always in the best circumstances so it is likely now worn out. It can take several weeks for them to get going and to settle into new surroundings, so just concentrate on hydration initially and don't worry about feeding pooping etc until it has settled into a routine. If your substrate is well hydrated then just offer a bath in the enclosure, nobody bathes wild torts and forcing them to do so daily is just another stressful routine until it has settled in ;) hope this helps.

#5 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thanks that is a help, hes been sitting in the water dish yesterday so must know what hes doing! I'll leave the bath then for a while and let him make his own mind up? (yes hermanni sorry, learning the torti lingo!)

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

I'm sure he will soon settle in for you.

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

Hi Charlotte, welcome to the forum. :)

#8 charlotte

charlotte

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Thanks mildredsmam and for sorting it for me! My little one has eaten/ drank on his own today but my partner thought he was trying to drown himself in his dish!

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

No problem Charlotte, happy to help, it's good to hear your little one has started to settle, let us know if you have any more questions. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users