• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mammjuls

mammjuls

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hii am going to get a toroise but not sure with to get a spur tortoise or a herman tortoise also what sive tortoise table will i need i am only getting one where i live it is not hardly ever warm outside so will be a indoor tortoise what other things do i need if anyone can give me any advice would be great as i am doing loads of research ext before hand i have had one pet shop say table and o e say the all inclosed incloser but i thunk the table is best ???? Is there any adive any one can give and any think people think i should know i would be greatfull as this will be my first ever tortoise and every one has to start at the begaining

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Where you live it's perfectly possible to keep tortoises outside. I have sold baby tortoises to the far north west coast of Scotland and they are fine. It's not possible to keep any tortoise on a tortoise table it's entire life if you want it to thrive. If you think of the size of an adult tortoise, putting it into an indoor enclosure and especially a vivarium, would be like tying a dog to a kennel its entire life, it would go mad through boredom and frustration. I'd do a bit more research, especially on tortoises in the wild to just show how this can't work for anything but a baby, even then babies can go outdoors in summer. Tortoise have huge territories. Hope this helps.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

I live in the north east and my torts are out side 24/7 even my hatchlings, they do have additional heat outside for cooler days but it works really well, I think you would really need to think that keeping a tortoise indoors 24/7 really isn't the best for the tortoise, they thrive a lot better been outside. :)

You might find this care sheet helpful. http://www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users